Friday, November 3, 2017

APPLE PAN DOWDY

The last time we "watched" the MO grandkids, we had fun picking up apples from under their apple tree. (I thought it was just an old apple tree, but my husband says it is a particular variety, he just doesn't know which one.) My son doesn't spray the tree so you have to check the apples closely before eating one. We spent time teaching Madison and Tyler which were good apples to keep from all of the ones on the ground. (My son and his wife chose not to make use of the apples.) We ended up bringing about 3 bags of apples home but took two in the house for the kids to eat after I peeled and cored them. The apple is really delicious and the kids really like them.

I have seen recipes for Apple Pan Dowdy in some of my Amish cookbooks in the past, but this one was in the Dinner Horn Country Inn cookbook. Bonnie does say in the cookbook that their menu comes from Pennsylvania Dutch traditions. Anyway it was really good. It is not like a crisp at all. Surprisingly I liked it better the second day with a little whipped topping.


APPLE PAN DOWDY

2       cups fresh apples, peeled and sliced
4       tablespoons butter
1/3    cup brown sugar
1/2    cup walnuts chopped
1/2    teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2    teaspoon ground nutmeg
1       cup cake flour
1       teaspoon baking powder
1/4    teaspoon salt
1       egg
1/2    cup sugar
1/3    cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (I lowered the temperature to 325 degrees F because I was using a glass baking dish.)

Cover apples (slices) with salted water to prevent discoloration. (I had a 4 cup mixing bowl that I filled with 2 cups of water and 1 teaspoon salt. I filled the bowl with apple slices until the water lever rose to the 4-cup mark.)

Melt 2 tablespoons butter in an 8 - inch square baking pan.

Add brown sugar and stir until dissolved.
(I just stirred until all of the sugar was wet as their was not enough butter to dissolve the sugar.)

Remove apples from water, arrange slices in the baking pan. (I made one single layer and then covered spaces with another slice.)

Sprinkle with walnuts, cinnamon, and nutmeg. (I misread the directions and combined the cinnamon and nutmeg with the other dry ingredients. Worked out fine.)

Sift dry ingredients together.

Combine with remaining butter, egg, sugar, and milk.










(It wasn't clear in the directions, but I didn't melt the butter. I thinly sliced the cold butter and then worked it in with my fingers and then added the egg, sugar, milk.)







Pour over apples.

Bake for 35 minutes.

May be served with whipped cream.

2 comments:

  1. Patricia: Love the looks of this recipe and can't wait to try it. One thing...I couldn't get the recipe to print. Is there some secret I don't know?
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackie,

      To get the print icon, you need to be on just this post. Click on the title of the recipe at the top of the post. That should open just that post. Scroll down to the bottom of the post and you will see a bar with options to print or share at various places such as Facebook, Twitter, etc. When the print window opens, you can chose to omit pictures. Unfortunately it will print the whole post, not just the recipe, but at least you can omit the images. Thanks,
      Patricia

      Delete