Friday, November 17, 2017

FRENCH APPLE WEDGES

While we were in Tennessee last week, we planned to spend some of our free morning time (Dollywood Theme Park didn't open until 2 pm during the week) checking out some of the antique shops. We were all interested in going to see what we could see, but Leon, Janice's husband, and I were looking for particular things; Leon - canning jars and me - cookbooks, of course. I found a few really good ones when we vacationed in Virginia last year and this time was no different.

One of the cookbooks I found was from Louise Durman who was the Food Editor of the Knoxville News - Sentinel. Louise Durman's Desserts was dated 1976. Wednesday afternoon I decided to make French Apple Wedges using some of the apples we had picked up at our son and his family's house a week or so before we left on our trip. While it sounded kinda like a cake, it was made in a pie plate. That meant it wouldn't make a lot and then be tempting for me to eat a lot.

The recipe was really easy. I didn't even have to use my electric mixer. That's always nice. Since the recipe only called for 1/2 cup of flour, I figured using whole wheat pastry flour wouldn't make too much of a difference in the taste. I also liked that it only used 1/2 cup sugar and no oil of any type. My pie plate is glass so I also reduced the oven temperature by 25 degrees. In my oven I added an extra 3 minutes to the cooking time. I wanted to make sure the center was cooked.

Well, the results were delicious. The "cake" was so moist and full of nuts.


FRENCH APPLE WEDGES

2      eggs
1/2   cup flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
1/2   cup sugar
1      teaspoon baking powder
1/2   teaspoon cinnamon
1/2   teaspoon nutmeg
1/4   teaspoon salt
2      teaspoons vanilla
1      cup finely chopped nuts
2      cups finely chopped peeled apples
ice cream or whipped topping

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (325 degrees F if using a glass pie plate.

Beat eggs until light.

Sift dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt) in a different bowl. (I sifted them twice.)

Add vanilla to beaten eggs and then flour mixture.
Add nuts and
apples.
Mix well.


Pour into an ungreased nine-inch pie plate.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. (I baked mine for 33 minutes.)

Cool on a wire rack.


Serve with ice cream or whipped topping.

Serves 6 to 8. 

I will be trying a number of recipes from this cookbook I know. Hope you will check back with me in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment