Wednesday, November 1, 2017

PUMPKIN ICE CREAM PIE

Trying to get in as many of my pumpkin recipes as I can. Before you know it, it will be time to be thinking about holiday (Christmas for me) baking. But I still have a month until then. 

I was sitting in the living room and enjoying the different "outlook on life" (I really should do it more often, but that's what happens when you also have a family room/den.) and picked up a cookbook in a small bookcase by the chair. (I have cookbooks all over the house. I need a library in this house.) I haven't looked in it in months. It is called Holidays & Parties. It is easy recipes from Home Economics (Family and Consumer Science) Teachers of California, Nevada, Arizona, and Utah. I really don't know who I bought it from but when I was looking at the section on Halloween, I saw this Pumpkin Ice Cream Pie recipe. The title was enough to make me check it out and then I noticed that it was contributed by Nanci Burkhart from Hueneme High School, Oxnard, CA. Nancy and her family were members of the same United Methodist Church as we were when we lived in Ventura, CA. I probably bought it from one of her children. 

Anyway, it was very exciting as I prepared the pie to know that I was making Nanci's recipe. I followed Nanci's directions but instead of just garnishing the pie with whipped cream, I decided to top it completely with whipped topping because the filling didn't fill up the crust. I also didn't have any orange juice so I used lemon juice instead. Turned out great. Very light tasting as it doesn't have any eggs, etc to make it like a custard or pumpkin pie.

Nanci called it a "refreshing holiday dessert" and she was so right.


PUMPKIN ICE CREAM PIE

1/2       cup vanilla ice cream
1          cup canned pumpkin
1/2       cup brown sugar
1/4       teaspoon cinnamon
1/2       teaspoon ginger
1/4       teaspoon nutmeg
1          tablespoon orange juice (I did use lemon juice instead.)
9"         prepared graham cracker crust
1          8 ounce container of whipped topping 

Scoop ice cream into a bowl and allow to soften.

In a second bowl, blend the pumpkin, sugar, spices, and juice with an electric mixer.

Fold into softened ice cream.

Spoon into graham cracker crust.

Freeze. (I covered it with the plastic lid that covers a purchased graham cracker crust.)

After it has frozen (about an hour or two later), cover with most of the 8 ounce container of whipped topping. Recover with clear plastic lid.

Remove from freezer 10 to 15 minutes before ready to serve.






If you do not serve it all at once, return the pie covered to the freezer to keep it frozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment