Wednesday, November 8, 2017

LEMON NUT BREAD

I wanted to make some quick bread to take on our recent trip to Tennessee (since I am used to eating a warm slice spread with butter and my yogurt for breakfast) and thought this recipe for Lemon Nut Bread sounded just perfect. 

Found in The Mennonite Treasury of Recipes cookbook, it was contributed by Mrs. M. Froese of Winnipeg, Man. It was fast and easy to make which was good as I was also trying to pack my suitcase. Mrs. Froese didn't indicate the size of loaf pan to use. Since I was carrying it on the plane, I wanted to make mini loaves instead of a large loaf. They worked out just right, too.

The only really change I made was when I spooned the topping on it. I have a similar recipe and you pour the lemon sauce on it while it is in the pan. I think that works out better because then the bread will soak up the sauce. Spooning it on after you remove it from the pan (as her recipe directed) means you will lose most of it because it will just run off.

Oh, I almost forgot another change I made....I used half of the sugar because I used a sugar/stevia blend.




LEMON NUT BREAD

2         tablespoons shortening
1         cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup sugar/stevia blend)
2         eggs
1         tablespoon grated lemon rind
1-1/2   cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2      teaspoon salt
1-1/2   teaspoons baking powder
1/2      cup milk
1/2      cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts)

TOPPING:
1/3      cup sugar
3         tablespoons lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (Reduce temperature to 325 degrees F if using a glass loaf pan.) Spray an 8 x 4 - inch loaf pan or two mini loaf pans with cooking spray.


Blend shortening and sugar til smooth.


Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.


Stir in lemon rind.


Sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder.

Add flour mixture alternately with the milk beginning and ending with the flour.
(I do about 1/3 of flour mixture each time and
half of the milk each time.)


Stir in nuts.


Spread into loaf pan(s).


Bake for about an hour for larger loaf or about 40 minutes for mini loaves.

Cool in pan(s) on wire rack for about 5 minutes while you prepare topping.


Stir lemon juice and sugar in a small bowl until sugar dissolves.


Spoon topping over loaves to completely cover.


Allow to cool in pan before removing.







Remove and serve.
(I wrapped my two loaves with plastic wrap and then placed in a large freezer bag to freeze. The next morning I removed the bag from the freezer and put in my carry-on bag.)

No comments:

Post a Comment