Tuesday, November 7, 2017

PUMPKIM WAFFLES with CINNAMON SUGAR BUTTER

It's been quite a while since I shared anything from my Virginia Bed & Breakfast Cookbook. That's what happens when you collect as many cookbooks as I have collected.

I made a delicious Greek Yogurt Pumpkin Banana Bread and had leftover canned pumpkin that I needed to use. I found myself in one of my breakfast-for-dinner moods and picked up the cookbook to see if I could find anything that used less than a whole can of pumpkin. 

Eureka! 

These Pumpkin Waffles are from the Hearth n' Holly Inn in Penn Laird, Virginia. An 1890s farmhouse, the inn is located on 15 acres with views of Massanutten Mountains, and is just ten minutes from Massanutten Resort and James Madison University. (I am sure I could enjoy the beauty of nature and the marvelous mountains for many hours sitting on the first porch.)

I cut the recipe in half because it said it makes 4 servings and I didn't want to make that much, but next time I will make the full recipe. The Browns said "this batter holds up beautifully when made the night before. Leftover batter keeps well in the refrigerator for the next day." I won't mix it up the night before, but I will refrigerate what we don't use the first time and make fresh waffles the next day.

I am including the recipe for the Cinnamon sugar butter because it sounds like it would be perfect on them. I didn't mix it up because I was in a hurry to get to handbell practice and didn't have time. I will the next time though.

The recipe says it makes 4 servings. As I said I cut the recipe in half and made 3-1/2 waffles. That makes me feel like you can make at least 7 waffles from the full recipe. 




PUMPKIN WAFFLES with CINNAMON SUGAR BUTTER

2-1/4       cups flour (I use whole wheat pastry flour.)
1             tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
2             teaspoons cinnamon
1             teaspoon allspice
1             teaspoon ground ginger
1/2          teaspoon salt
1/4          cup packed brown sugar
1             cup canned pumpkin
2             cups milk
4             large eggs, separated
1/2          stick unsalted butter, melted

Cinnamon sugar butter:
1            stick unsalted butter, softened
2            tablespoons sugar
1            teaspoon cinnamon


Sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, salt, and brown sugar into a large bowl.

In a medium bowl, combine pumpkin, milk, egg yolks, and melted butter; mix well.


Make a well in flour mixture;
add pumpkin mixture to well and stir until combined.


In a medium, clean, dry bowl beat egg whites until soft peaks form.


Fold gently into batter just until combined.


Bake waffles in a preheated waffle iron until golden brown.





Serve with cinnamon sugar butter.

For the cinnamon sugar butter: Warm butter in a small bowl or saucepan until smooth and soft. Add sugar and cinnamon; mix well. If not using immediately, refrigerate, then let stand at room temperature to soften before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment