Monday, November 6, 2017

APPLE LOAF



I know it seems like I have been making lots of quick breads lately and I guess I have. When I needed something to take to Hillcrest Thrift Shop last week, I decided to make another quick bread instead of a cake or bars or something extra sweet. I considered making the Greek Yogurt Pumpkin Bread again because it was so good, but when I saw this recipe for Apple Loaf, I knew I wanted to try it. 

I found the recipe in a newsprint magazine-like cookbook simply called Women's Circle Cookbook of 500 - Recipes (Pies, Cakes, Donuts, Salads, Soups, Bread, Cookies, Puddings) published by Women's Circle Books in 1963. It also says Number One so I guess they had subsequent issues. Mrs. Earl J. Van Tassel, Jr., of Theresa, New York contributed the recipe. I decided to add the dried cranberries and am glad I did. They were the perfect addition AND the volunteers at the thrift shop really enjoyed it.


APPLE LOAF

1/2       cup shortening
2/3       cup brown sugar
2          eggs
1          cup unsweetened applesauce (If not sour apples, add 1 tablespoon vinegar and then fill cup with sauce.)
2          cups flour
1          teaspoon baking powder
1          teaspoon soda
1/2       teaspoon salt
1/2       cup chopped walnuts
1/2       cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 -inch loaf pan or a 9 x 5 - inch loaf pan with cooking spray.

Cream the shortening and brown sugar til smooth.

Add eggs and mix well.








Add applesauce. (I used unsweetened applesauce and did put 1 tablespoon of vinegar in measuring cup before I added the applesauce.)

Sift together the flour, baking powder, soda, and salt.

Add to mixture.

Add nuts and cranberries.

Spread batter in pan and bake for 55 minutes.

Cool in pan for at least 10 minutes
before removing to finish cooling on wire rack.

I then wrapped the bread in foil and waited until the next day to cut and serve it. I wanted it to be good and moist. (And it was.)

No comments:

Post a Comment