Friday, November 10, 2017

JOHN CATHER'S BUTTERMILK PANCAKES

Please don't ask me who John Cather is or was. I don't have a clue. I found this recipe in my mother's metal recipe box. She had cut it out of a newspaper or a newsprint magazine. Her recipe box is not very organized so if I am ever curious as to whether she might have a recipe, I have to go through the whole box. It has the categories, she just wasn't consistent in using them. Anyway, I found this recipe along with a few more that I thought I would keep out and (hopefully) would get around to trying them before too long.

I decided to use whole wheat pastry flour for the flour to make them a little more healthy. I also just used canola oil instead of melting some shortening. 



JOHN CATHER'S BUTTERMILK PANCAKES

1        egg
1        cup buttermilk (I do use 1% fat buttermilk)
1/2     teaspoon baking soda
1/2     teaspoon salt
1        tablespoon sugar
1        cup flour (I did use whole wheat pastry flour)
2        tablespoons oil


Add the baking soda, salt, and sugar to the buttermilk. Beat egg and
then add the buttermilk mixture.






Blend in the flour and mix thoroughly,
adding the oil and
beating some more.



Drop tablespoons of the batter here and there over moderately hot griddle. I mixed my batter in a batter bowl (one with a spout for easy pouring) and slowly poured amount on griddle for the size of pancake I wanted to make. I like small pancakes sometimes called Silver Dollar Pancakes. My husband likes the big ones. I made mostly the smaller ones but did make a few bigger ones - not as big as he really likes though.

You know the pancakes are ready to be flipped when bubbles appear on top of the pancakes cooking.




1 comment:

  1. Thank you for being my own coach on this subject.
    My spouse and i enjoyed your article very much and most of
    all favored how you handled the aspect I regarded as controversial.
    You are always quite kind to readers really like me and help me in my life.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete