Friday, October 6, 2017

PUMPKIN CINNAMON ROLL BISCUITS

Fall is here and so are the recipes with pumpkin and spices. I don't drink coffee, but I think the options for pumpkin flavored coffee is endless. I did see a pumpkin pie concrete at a neighborhood custard/burger restaurant recently that was terribly tempting.

I am trying my hand at another original recipe this week and guess what is in it? You are right, if you said pumpkin. Once again I am using my original biscuit recipe as the base for these cinnamon rolls, but putting a "fall" touch to them.

I made them Tuesday morning before going to Hillcrest Thrift Shop. We spent the weekend in CO Springs visiting our older son and his family and drove back on Monday. We got back in town just in time to go to MO granddaughter Madison's softball game. 

The team played together this summer in a league that covered a large area of northwest MO. We had to drive at least an hour to several games (which was okay). It was a delight for us watching the little girls (many playing for the first time) develop their skills and having so much fun. The other thing that was special for us was watching our younger son pitching again (even if it was a softball). 

The head coach heard about a fall league that played all of their games on one field and less than 10 miles for everyone to drive. The 8 and under girls' league uses a pitching machine so it means we don't get to see our son pitch anymore, but he is still helping out with the team. They have played four games so far and once again it is amazing to see their skills improve with every game. They are just so cute out on the field in their uniforms and bows in their hair. Madison has had some difficulty adjusting to the pitching machine (she isn't alone). She has a good swing though and we knew she would eventually make contact with the ball. 

That day came last Monday night. In the three previous games, she had only made contact with the ball two times and they were both fouls. Monday night the coach was telling the girls to take the first pitch (they only get five pitches though). All of the girls were doing well following his instructions. Then Madison comes up to bat with two girls on base, and swings at the first pitch. The coach never said anything to her afterwards because she ended up making contact and hit the ball so far out in the outfield that she made it all the way around the bases and home before they could get the ball back in the infield. The funny thing was she stopped at every base and the coaches had to tell her to keep running. I was jumping up and down in the stands; so excited. The next time up to bat she swung at the first pitch again and hit it just past second base. She also fielded the ball well when she was playing shortstop.  

Oh, I'm supposed to be sharing a recipe with you, aren't I? Sorry, hope you enjoyed hearing my little story.

The volunteers loved the Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll Biscuits. I told them I had made up the recipe and hadn't had time to really try one before I brought them (I didn't get to the shop until 10, the time it opens.) I didn't even have one to bring back to my husband so I had to make them again Wednesday morning so my husband (and I) could see if we agreed with the volunteers. (My husband tells me that the volunteers wouldn't tell me if they didn't like something I brought anyway. He doesn't know - I have had some suggestions made from a few of the volunteers a couple of times.)

This time though, they were correct. They were fantastic. (My husband ate 3 with his breakfast. Ha)



PUMPKIN CINNAMON ROLL BISCUITS

2       cups flour
3       teaspoons baking powder
1/2    teaspoon salt
1/4    teaspoon baking soda
1/2    teaspoon sugar
5       tablespoons shortening
1/2    cup canned pumpkin
3/4    cup buttermilk (1 %)
1       stick butter, melted
1/2    cup packed light brown sugar
cinnamon
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Sift together twice the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and sugar.


Add shortening and work in 1 tablespoon at a time (I use my fingers).


Add pumpkin and buttermilk and stir til all of the flour is worked in.
(I may start with a spoon, etc but always end up using my fingers to do this. Don't overwork the dough, but you don't want any loose flour left in the bowl.)




Drop batter on a lightly floured surface. (Dough will be a little sticky.)



Toss/roll the dough in the flour a few times so that you can roll it out.

















You may need to rub some flour on the rolling pin or dust a little over the dough as you roll it out.



Brush enough of the melted stick of butter (about 50 seconds in the microwave) to completely cover the dough. I used about 2/3 of it.


Sprinkle the brown sugar over the melted butter.


Then sprinkle cinnamon over top (enough to lightly cover the sugar).


Then sprinkle the pumpkin pie spice over top. (I measured the spice into a sifter and lightly sifted it over the sugar - not as heavy as the cinnamon though.)


Then start rolling up from one of the narrow ends. Don't rush this.
If you see the dough is sticking to the surface, brush a little flour up to the edge and work it in with your fingers til it loosens.
When you have rolled it almost all of the way across, stop
and bring the other end up over the top.
Close up the ends
and then cut the rolls about an inch wide with a sharp knife.
Then you can pick it up with the knife (my husband loves to get his finger in the picture)
to place it on the baking sheet.



Using the rest of the melted butter, brush the tops of the cinnamon rolls to cover well.


Bake 20 minutes.


While the rolls/biscuits are baking, sift about 2 cups powered sugar and then add 2 tablespoons milk. Stir til smooth and set aside until you bring the rolls/biscuits out of the oven.
Immediately spoon the thick glaze over each roll/biscuit.



Great when still warm, but are also fabulous cold.

Here is a picture of Madison just before she hit her home run.




You may want to check out my other version of these cinnamon roll biscuits if you don't want to use pumpkin.

OR these scrumptious Apple Cinnamon Roll Biscuits.



No comments:

Post a Comment