Thursday, October 19, 2017

BONNIE'S APPLE CAKE

Yesterday I shared some delicious Zucchini Muffins from The Dinner Horn Country Inn, a restaurant in the Pennsylvania Dutch tradition, that was a favorite back in the late 80+ in Kansas City, MO. I haven't been able to discover when it closed, but I heard from several volunteers at Hillcrest Thrift Shop yesterday when I shared this Apple Cake recipe of the owner Bonnie Kellenberg who remembered eating there and raved about it and this cake.

Because of that interest I had to bump a post until next week so I could share the recipe sooner. The cake is awesome. I love the topping baked on the cake. I don't think I have ever eaten a cake of any kind that had this egg white mixture spread on top and baked with the cake. 

I hope you will try this recipe and check back often with me as I explore more recipes from this restaurant. (You can read more about it in the post for the Zucchini Muffins they also served at the Inn.) 



BONNIE'S APPLE CAKE

1/2       cup shortening
1          cup sugar
3          egg yolks
3/4       teaspoons baking soda
1/2       teaspoons nutmeg
1-1/2    cups flour
1/2       teaspoon salt
1/2       teaspoon ground cinnamon
3          cups apples, peeled and diced
3          egg whites
1          cup brown sugar
1/2       cup coconut
1/2       cup nut meats, chopped (I used walnuts.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease  a 9 x 13 - inch pan.


Cream together shortening and sugar.


Add egg yolks;
mix well.
Sift dry ingredients;

add to mixture.
Add apples and mix. (I found the easiest way to do this was with my fingers since the mixture is thick.)
Spread mixture into pan.







Beat egg whites until stiff.
Add brown sugar, nuts, and coconut.



Spread on top of cake.






Bake for 45 minutes.

Cool cake in pan on wire rack.



No comments:

Post a Comment