Friday, October 27, 2017

PUMPKIN CAKE BARS with CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

Well, the trees in the Northland have finally decided to get their fall colors out of storage and share them with everyone. They are definite late this year, but better late than never. You can't help but think of all the good foods that most people wait until this time of the year to serve.

I know I have already been sharing recipes with pumpkin for several weeks, but when I needed something quick to make Monday afternoon to take to Hillcrest Thrift Shop for the volunteers on Tuesday, I chose this recipe from King Arthur Flour for Pumpkin Cake Bars. Believe it or not, I only made two changes this time. The recipe called for 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour and I used 1 cup all-purpose flour and 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour. It also called for 1 cup golden raisins. I didn't have any so I used dried cranberries. (Volunteer Roger commented on them - he thought they were better in the recipe.) There were only 2 pieces left when my shift was over. (I find it amusing that no one wants to take the last pieces. I just removed them from my pan and left them on a paper plate. I am sure they weren't there by the time the shop closed.)



PUMPKIN CAKE BARS with CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

Cake:

2/3         cup oil
2/3         cup brown sugar, packed
1/3         cup granulated sugar
3            large eggs
2/3         cup pumpkin puree
3/4         teaspoon baking soda
3/4         teaspoon baking powder
3/8         teaspoon salt
2            teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1-1/3      cup flour (I used 1 cup all-purpose flour + 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour.)
1/3         cup toasted chopped walnuts
2/3         cup golden raisins (I used dried cranberries.)

Frosting:

4          ounces cream cheese, softened (I used 1/3 less fat at room temperature.)
2          tablespoons unsalted butter, softened or at room temperature
1          tablespoon maple syrup
1-1/4    cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
pinch of salt
1/2       cup toasted walnut pieces

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 - inch pan.

Beat the oil and the sugars together until well blended. (I did use my electric mixer. I just moved the mixing bowl to better light to take my pictures.)

Beat in the eggs,
then the pumpkin puree.

Stir the baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spice into the wet ingredients. (I mixed them together in a small bowl first.)
Stir in the flour, beating gently to combine.

Stir in nuts and
raisins/dried cranberries.

Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for approximately 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. (I did bake mine the full 25 minutes.)

Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn it onto a rack to finish cooling; OR leave it in the pan which is what I did.

To make the frosting:
beat the cream cheese and butter together.

Beat in the maple syrup,
then mix in the confectioners' sugar and salt. Adjust the consistency of the frosting with additional maple syrup or confectioners' sugar, if necessary; it should be nicely spreadable. (I didn't need to do this.)

Frost the bars and
sprinkle with the toasted walnuts. Do not cut into squares until the frosting has set. (I made mine the day before and stored it covered in the refrigerator. I cut it in squares before I went to Hillcrest the next morning.)

To toast the nuts, place them in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake in a 350 degree F oven for 8 to 10 minutes, just until you can start to smell them.
Let cool before using.








If you want to make the cake gluten-free, use gluten-free flour. No other additional ingredients or other changes are needed.

A substitute for pumpkin pie spice that you can make and keep on hand:

PUMPKIN PIE SPICE

1-1/2      teaspoons cinnamon
1/2         teaspoon ginger
1/2         teaspoon nutmeg
1/2         teaspoon cloves

Mix and store in an airtight container. This will make 1 tablespoon. Double or increase equally to make more.

No comments:

Post a Comment