Monday, October 9, 2017

BUTTERMILK HOTCAKES WITH BLUEBERRIES

I know I have been sharing a lot of recipes from Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove Cookbook lately, but I need to return the book to the library and I didn't want to take the time to write the recipes down on a pieces of paper.

This recipe for Buttermilk Hotcakes with Blueberries is supposed to be an old family recipe that Charlotte Rhodes, the matriarch in the Cedar Cove series, says her mother passed it on to her. She added that they are much tastier than those prepared ones.

I admit I have never made "hotcakes" before and really thought they would taste more like cornbread since the recipe is very similar to my cornbread recipe. But they didn't. We really liked them and they were nice and warm since I stored them in the lightly heated oven. I could only cook two at a time on the griddle on my stove so this suggestion was very appreciated. The blueberries were also a nice addition. I bet my grandchildren would really like them.



BUTTERMILK HOTCAKES WITH BLUEBERRIES

3/4       cup all-purpose flour
3/4       cup yellow cornmeal
2          tablespoons sugar
1/2       teaspoon baking powder
1/2       teaspoon baking soda
1/2       teaspoon salt
2          large eggs
1-1/4    cups buttermilk
3          tablespoons butter, melted
1          cup fresh blueberries or frozen blueberries, thawed
vegetable oil for cooking

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.

In a large bowl, stir the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together with a whisk until blended.

In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and melted butter, until combined.


Pour buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients,
stir til smooth.








Lightly coat a heavy large skillet or griddle with oil; warm over medium heat.

Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto cooking surface.
Sprinkle each pancake with blueberries.
Cook about 2 minutes per side, until bottoms are golden brown.
(Bubble will appear on top when it is time to flip them.)


Place pancakes on oven-safe plate or pan and keep warm in oven until you are finished and ready to eat.


No comments:

Post a Comment