Wednesday, October 25, 2017

LOADED GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE MIX BROWNIES

A couple of years ago I added my dentist and his staff to my list of people that I could make and take my treats to so I didn't have to eat them all myself. Going to the dentist is not one of my favorite places to go, but I do really like Dr. G. and his staff. The first time I took something I told him it was a bribe so he wouldn't hurt me. Once when he told me I needed to have a tooth crowned, I told him I would bring them treats whenever they wanted them, he didn't have to create reasons for me to come back. He laughed.

Having my six-month cleaning appointment first thing Monday morning, I spent part of Sunday afternoon making these delicious brownies from Betty Crocker. I basically followed the recipe except I substituted walnuts for the pecans, but only because I didn't have any pecans. I also didn't have any milk chocolate chips because I rarely buy them. I usually use 60% cacao chips. This time I used a mixture of semi-sweet, white, and peanut butter or butterscotch chips that Friend Elaine who also volunteers at Hillcrest Thrift Shop brought one day for other volunteers to take. The last change I made wasn't really much of a change - I just used organic unsweetened coconut for the coconut.


LOADED GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE MIX BROWNIES

1       box German chocolate cake mix
1/2    cup unsalted butter, melted
1       egg
1/3    cup evaporated milk 
1       cup chopped pecans (I used walnuts)
1/2    cup milk chocolate chips (I used a mixture of chips)
1       cup flaked coconut (I used unsweetened coconut)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom and sides of a 9 - or 10 - inch square pan with shortening or cooking spray.


In a large bowl, stir cake mix, melted butter, egg, milk, and pecans until combined.


Fold in chocolate chips and coconut.
(Batter will be thick.) Lightly and evenly press batter in pan.
(When I am working with thicker batter, I will drop spoonfuls of batter in pan leaving some in bowl. I spread the batter out evenly
and then add the last bit in the thinner places
.)



Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on cooling rack,

about 2 hours....

No comments:

Post a Comment