Tuesday, October 17, 2017

FUDGE NUT COOKIES

Mondays are usually bake day/sewing/quilting day for me. Yesterday was a basically a bake day with one exception. I got up and decided it was time to start that exercise program I have been talking about for quite a while. Our church has a group called Over 50 Aerobics that meets Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at 9:00. I have thought about going and checking them out ever since we moved to Kansas City nine years ago, just never have. This morning I decided I was through talking and ready to take action.

The tape was about 30 to 35 minutes long. I did the whole thing which may not have been a good idea as by 4:00 in the afternoon I was feeling it in the muscles especially in my lower back. Will see how I manage today. I am off to Hillcrest Thrift Shop and then choir practice in the afternoon so I won't be just sitting around.

As I was saying, I ended up spending most of the rest of the day baking and never made it to my sewing room. I finished sewing on the binding on my latest Blanket of Hope Sunday afternoon so I was going to have to start a new blanket which I wasn't really ready to do. There's always Wednesday - my other bake and sew day.

I found a recipe for an apple cake to make and take to Hillcrest, but I also wanted to make a small batch of cookies for us to have at the house. The recipe I found for the cookies required the batter to be refrigerated for 2 hours so I decided to mix them up first and during the 2 hours I could make the apple cake. I will be sharing the cake with you on another day.

Since I didn't want to make a lot of cookies, I cut the recipe in half. I will share the full recipe with my amounts in parentheses. (You might notice the sugar is a little less than half. I wanted to see if I could get by with less sugar in the cookies.) The recipe said to drop and roll the cookie (ball) in powdered sugar or granulated sugar. I did both because I wanted to see what they would look like with the granulated sugar. I knew what they were going to look like with the powdered sugar. The recipe made a soft cake-like cookie.

I also forgot to five credit to Phyllis Pellman Good and Rachel Thomas Pellman and their cookbook, From Amish and Mennonite Kitchens. They do not give individual credit on the recipes. The full recipe makes about 5-1/2 dozen cookies. I had one more cookie than exactly 1-1/2 dozen.



FUDGE NUT COOKIES

1-2/3       cups sugar (2/3 cup) (I did reduce the sugar a little)
2/3          cup butter (1/3 cup) (I always use unsalted butter)
2             eggs (1 )
1             cup cottage cheese (1/2 cup)
2             teaspoons vanilla (1 teaspoon)
2-3/4       cups flour (1-1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons)
1/2          cup cocoa (1/4 cup)
1             teaspoon baking powder (1/2 teaspoon)
1/2          teaspoon baking soda (1/4 teaspoon)
1/2          teaspoon salt (1/4 teaspoon)
1/2          cup chopped nuts (1/4 cup) (I used walnuts)


Cream together the sugar, butter, egg, and cottage cheese.


Add vanilla and dry ingredients. (I combined the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together first.)


Stir in nuts.







Chill dough for 2 hours in the refrigerator.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


I used my cookie scoop to make "balls" that were about the "size of a walnut".
Dip in powdered sugar or granulated sugar.









Place about 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.







Bake 8 to 10 minutes. (I baked mine 9 minutes.) Cookies will puff up.


Leave on cookie sheet for about 5 minutes before removing the cookies to cool on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment