Thursday, October 5, 2017

MULTI-GRAIN PUMPKIN BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

I shared some fantastic Banana Blueberry Muffins for Mom recently. (Check them out here.) As fantastic as they were, I wanted to try them again, but substitute pumpkin for the banana.

Well, they were just as fantastic. I have enjoyed one a morning with my yogurt for breakfast. They have so much good stuff in them, I don't feel like I am just eating a muffin. I had extra batter that I made two extra muffins. One of them had blueberries and one didn't. The one that didn't obviously had a different taste without the blueberries, but I liked it just as much. 

You could give these to your children to eat for breakfast before going to school and you wouldn't have to feel guilty. I bet they would be good with dried cranberries for the blueberries also.

This recipe was in a children's Highlights High Five magazine and was a recipe for children to make with an adult. I think it would be fun to make them with your children/grandchildren. 




MULTI-GRAIN PUMPKIN BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

3/4       cup all-purpose flour
3/4       cup whole wheat (pastry) flour
3/4       cup sugar
1/4       cup oat bran
1/4       cup quick-cooking oats
1/4       cup wheat germ
1          teaspoon baking powder
1          teaspoon baking soda
1/4       teaspoon salt
1          teaspoon ground cinnamon
1          cup blueberries
1          cup canned pumpkin
1          cup buttermilk
1          egg
1          tablespoon oil
1          teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Put paper baking cups in a 12-cup muffin tin.
(Don't be surprised if you have left over batter enough to make two more muffins. I did.)


Stir together the flours, sugar, oat bran, oats, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. 
Then gently stir in the blueberries.
In another bowl, combine the pumpkin, buttermilk, egg, oil, and vanilla.
Stir til smooth.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients
and mix just until blended.

Put the mixture in the muffin cups filling them about 3/4 full.

Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until the tops of the muffins spring back when lightly touched. (I cooked mine at least 20 minutes.)
(My two extra ones.)

Cool slightly in pan on wire rack.
Remove cupcakes and finish cooling on rack.







Store in covered container in refrigerator for leftovers. You can heat a muffin in the microwave for about 15 seconds to heat it slightly when eating it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment