Thursday, October 26, 2017

PUZZLE PIECE BLOCK

I don't really know what this block is called. I just decided to call it Puzzle Piece Block because when it is in a quilt, it looks like a puzzle. I saw part of a quilt in some of my travels and thought I would give it a try after I got home. I didn't see the whole quilt so I am not sure how the block was arranged in the quilt, so I came up with several different options.

This block is so easy to make and uses only 2 blocks of one print/fabric and one block of another (I chose to use a solid).



I used cut 5 - inch squares - 2 prints and one solid. For the whole quilt I kept the same solid throughout the quilt top.

To make the block, you simply sew the three squares together with the solid square in the center using a quarter inch seam. Because my solid was so dark, I pressed the seams to the center.

Now you are going to cut the strip in half horizontally (2-1/2 inches). (I place a piece of tape on the ruler marking 2-1/2 inches to speed up the cutting process.)


Then I cut down the center of the solid square vertically (2-1/4 inches here since you have used 1/2 inch total in the side seams).

Once you have made these two cuts it is just a matter of reversing the bottom two quarters and placing them all together like the picture below shows.

If you are using a directional print, place the top right quarter piece under the top left one and the repeat with the bottom two quarters. The prints will be going the same way.

The block is easy to sew together with quarter inch seams because you have no seams to match when sewing the four pieces together.

Once you have all of the blocks made and ready to sew them together, you only have to "nest" at the smaller solid squares. Since you always pressed the seams toward the solid square, this "nesting" is made easy.

I made my lap throw using six different prints and the same solid. I placed six blocks across and six blocks down for a total of 36 blocks. Since I used six different prints, I only needed twelve (12) five - inch blocks of each print and thirty - six (36) five - inch blocks of the solid. That means you can probably use your "stash" for the prints and maybe even a solid. You will need 25 inches of 42 - inch wide fabric or 3/4 yard for the solid. If you don't have a "stash", you will need 15 inches of 42 - inch wide fabric or 1/2 yard. (I was fortunate and had the blocks in our "stash" at the church.) The finished block size (in quilt) is 6-1/2 x 8 - inches. Finished throw was 39 1/4 x 46 1/4.

I came up with three different designs - one random (it looks the most like a jigsaw puzzle), one diagonal, and one with columns. 





I liked all three of the designs, but ended up making the lap throw with the diagonal lines because it was the one on my design wall last. (I know, I was just being lazy that day.)

I think the random arrangement would be pretty made as a scrappy quilt and make each block using different prints from your stash or leftover projects. You could then call it your Crazy Puzzle Quilt.

Here is the finished throw. It will be added to the other lap throws made for my church's Blankets of Hope. 






No comments:

Post a Comment