Friday, October 20, 2017

GINGER-CARROT-NUT BREAD

I've gotten to where I like eating my yogurt with a fruit muffin for breakfast each morning. When I ate the last Pumpkin-Cranberry Muffin, I started looking for something new to try. I didn't have to go far as I found this Ginger-Carrot-Nut Bread in the same little Betty Crocker fall baking booklet cookbook. A slice of it actually has less calories than the muffin did (it only has 180 calories/slice). I helped it out just a little by reducing the brown sugar a bit without reducing the taste. I also made it multi-grain by using half all-purpose flour and half whole wheat pastry flour. 

The first slice was just perfect with a couple pieces of bacon and an egg. It had cooled slightly when I cut it. A little butter spread on it and I was in "Heaven". (Before I ate a slice the next day or so, I heated the slice in the microwave for 15 seconds then spread a little butter on it and it was just as good as the first slice I ate.)



GINGER-CARROT-NUT BREAD

2       eggs
2/3    cup packed brown sugar
1/3    cup oil
1/2    cup milk (I used skim milk)
1       teaspoon vanilla
2       cups flour (I used 1 cup all-purpose flour and 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour)
2       teaspoons baking powder
1       teaspoon ground ginger
1/2    teaspoon salt
1       cup grated carrots
1/2    cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom only of an 8 x 4 - inch loaf pan with shortening; lightly flour. (I only had a loaf pan 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 - inches.)


In a large bowl, beat eggs and brown sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until creamy.


Beat in oil, milk, and vanilla.


On low speed, beat in flour, baking powder, ginger, and salt until smooth. (I combined these ingredients in a small bowl with a whisk first.)


Stir in carrots and nuts.


Spread evenly in pan.


Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. (I cooked mine 65 minutes.)


Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
Loosen sides of loaf from pan by running a knife around the inside edges.
Remove from pan to finish cooling on wire rack.


Serve slices with whipped cream cheese or butter.



No comments:

Post a Comment