Wednesday, August 5, 2015

FROZEN SNICKER PIE


A recipe for Frozen Snicker Pie was at the bottom of the page for the Earthquake Cake I made a week or so ago. When I noticed it, it sounded like something everyone would like. The cookbook was called Angel in my Kitchen, a spirited collection of recipes from St. Ann's Parish and you guessed it, I found it at an estate sale. 

I had to buy the ice cream because we don't usually have ice cream in the freezer. Everything else I had. 

When I started to make it, I realized the recipe only called for 1 cup of ice cream. I mixed it up like the recipe but then decided to add another cup of ice cream to make 2 cups or a pint.

And then the fun began. I mixed up the ice cream, Cool Whip, and peanut butter first to make sure just to make sure it needed twice the amount of ice cream AND totally forgot the chocolate pudding. I spooned it in the pie plate with a homemade graham cracker crumb crust and took my picture and took it downstairs to the bigger freezer. I came back in the kitchen and realized my mistake...that I had forgotten the pudding. I hurried back downstairs and  took the pie out of the freezer and back in my kitchen started spooning it out of the pie crust so I could add the pudding. The problem was I couldn't get all of the mixture out because I had frozen the crust earlier and the ice cream had frozen to it as soon as I had place it in the crust. So when I put the chocolate ice cream mixture in the crust, there was a white border around the edge. I couldn't cover it up. 

Well, we ate the pie and ENJOYED it, but I didn't have a picture of what it was supposed to look like for my blog.

Now it is a week later ... and since it was so easy and I needed something to post this week on my blog ... I tried it again. Since the first time I made this, I have made Friend Fran's Frozen Strawberry Dessert and discovered her recipe for a crust that I just love. I may never make another graham cracker crumb crust again. So this time I made that crust instead of the one I made the first time. The recipe will make more than you need for a 9 - inch pie plate, so I crumbled up the rest and froze it to use for something else.

The recipe actually doesn't call for a crust. It says to pour the mixture into a pie tin and freeze. So if you didn't want to fool with a crust at all, you could do that. My husband and I liked the graham cracker crumb crust with the first one I made though.



FROZEN SNICKER PIE

1       pint (2 cups) chocolate chip ice cream (softened)
1       cup Sugar Free Cool Whip
1/4   cup chunky peanut butter
1       pkg, (4 serving size) sugar free chocolate instant Jello pudding mix (dry)


Mix together the ice cream, Cool Whip, peanut butter, until smooth.


Add the dry pudding mix in a large bowl. 


Use a whisk or big spoon to combine til smooth.

Pour into a  9 - inch pie plate. I had made the crust and placed the pie plate in the freezer for about 30 minutes before adding the "pie".




I was going to show you a picture of what the first one looked like at this point, but I couldn't find one. Then I realized I didn't take a picture of it because I was so disgusted with myself. 

Depending on how frozen the pie is when you are ready to serve it, remove the pie 10 to 30 minutes to soften to cut. My upright freezer really freezing food so it takes 30 minutes before I can cut it. But I was able to cut it within 10 minutes after removing the pie from the freezer with our refrigerator. Doesn't it look good enough to right right here?

Remember if you want to print the recipe using the print icon below, you will have the option to remove images when the print window opens. If you do not see the print icon, you need to tap/click on the title of this post and it will take you to just this post. Then you will see the print icon with the share buttons. Home will return you to my blog's most recent posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment