Wednesday, July 22, 2015

EARTHQUAKE CAKE

I have seen recipes for an Earthquake Cake several times, but I never really looked at the recipe to see how it was actually made. When I got an email from Cindy, one of the assistant managers at Hillcrest Thrift Shop, asking me if I could trade shifts for the next day, I needed something to make in a hurry. I usually try to work the first shift at the shop except once a month when our Blankets of Hope quilting group meets in the morning at church. That means I end up making whatever dessert I am taking to the volunteers on Monday. Well, our meeting got cancelled due to Vacation Bible School so I just decided I would make my dessert on Tuesday morning before going to work at 12:30.  So when I agreed (at 7:30 p.m.) to come in for the first shift that's why I was almost in a panic to find something I could make quickly before going to bed. (I considered not taking anything but decided I didn't want to disappoint my friends.) 

Looking through several cookbooks, I picked up one of my latest estate sale finds called Angel in My Kitchen, a spirited collection of recipes from St. Ann's Parish, I stopped and actually read Jane Palmer's recipe for Earthquake Cake. It didn't look too difficult and except for the German chocolate cake mix, I had all of the ingredients. Since I didn't have the cake mix the recipe called for, I decided to substitute and use a traditional chocolate cake mix (no pudding). Since I have never eaten a piece of Earthquake Cake, I hope it won't make a difference. I can't see how it would, just a little different taste with the cake.



EARTHQUAKE CAKE

1       cup coconut
1       cup pecans (chopped)
1       box German chocolate cake mix (I did use a traditional chocolate cake mix)
1       stick margarine (melted) (I used butter)
1       8 - oz cream cheese (I used fat free)
1       lb. box powdered sugar (4-1/3 cups)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 - inch pan. (I used my homemade Pan Grease.)


Spread the coconut and then the pecans on the bottom of the pan.


Mix the cake according to package directions.









Pour the cake mix evenly over the coconut and pecans. (I forgot to take a picture. Oops.)


Melt the margarine in a saucepan over LOW heat. Add the cream cheese and stir it til it is smooth (and somewhat melted).


Remove from heat and slowly add the powdered sugar 
stirring with a wooden spoon til smooth.


Spread over the cake mix. (This took longer than I wanted as I didn't want to pour (dump) the mixture and the recipe did say to "spread". I wanted to keep this mixture an even layer above the cake mix. Since I have never seen one of these cakes made, I don't know if this is the way it is supposed to be done or not.)


Bake in oven for 45 to 50 minutes.

Cool on wire rack.



What a surprise I had when I cut it before taking it to Hillcrest...











Remember, if you wish to print this recipe using the print icon below, you will be given the option to "remove images" when the print window opens. If you do not see the print icon below, you need to go back to the title of this post and tap/click on it. Then just this post will open and the print button will be included with the share buttons at the bottom. Home will return you to the blog and the most recent posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment