Tuesday, July 14, 2015

STRAWBERRY SALAD

This Strawberry Salad was one my mother loved to make. She made it for us once when we visited and my husband fell in love with it. I admit I hadn't made it in quite a while, but decided I needed to when Friend Claudette asked me if I had a salad recipe using strawberry Jell-O. 

As with so many of my mother's recipes, she wasn't very precise and then I hadn't made any notes on the recipe card either when I made it. I emailed the recipe (with some possible instructions) to Claudette and told her I would try to make it soon. While we (esp. my husband) was happy with my results, I did decide to make a change when I presented the recipe to you. 

When I made it, it seemed like I had to much fruit, at least more than when I used to make it. I used a 20 - ounce can of crushed pineapple but I think Mother probably used a smaller can. I see so many recipes that call for a 15 - ounce can of crushed pineapple which I think used to be a large can of pineapple. I only buy a 20 - ounce can unless I am buying one specially for a recipe. So I wrote the recipe for the smaller can. If you have a 20 - ounce can use all of the juice but don't use all of the pineapple. 

My bananas may have been a little larger than what is considered small. I didn't know the amount of frozen strawberries she used either and bought a lb bag of frozen whole berries. I cut up what I figured was 12 - ounces. You can also buy frozen sliced strawberries in a 10 - ounce container so that might work too. 

The reason I am being so particular is you have to have enough Jell-O to hold the fruit together. If you have too much fruit, it will want to fall apart. It will taste great. It just won't look as neat as it does in layers with the sour cream in the middle.



STRAWBERRY SALAD

2       pkgs (4 - serving size) strawberry jello (I used sugar free)
2       cups boiling water
2       small bananas
1        pkg (10 - 12 - ounces) frozen strawberries
1        (15 - ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
1        (16 - ounce) carton sour cream (light will work)

Stir til dissolved the packages of jello in the boiling water in a large mixing bowl.

Slice and chop up the bananas.

Slice (if necessary) and chop frozen strawberries. (They are easiest to work with if this is done when they are still frozen.)

Add the bananas, strawberries, and crushed pineapple with juice to the jello. Stir to dissolve.
In a 2 quart (approximately 8 x 11 - inch) rectangular dish, pour half of the mixture making sure you are getting equal amount of fruit. (I did this by measuring out a cup at a time. I placed one cupful in the dish and the next cupful in another bowl. That way I divided it evenly.)


Laying it flat, place the dish in the freezer to gel, about 15 to 20 minutes. It doesn't have to be completely gelled. You want to be able to spread the sour cream on top and not have it get mixed up.

Remove the dish 

and carefully spread the sour cream over the top of the gelled mixture.


Carefully spoon the reserved mixture on top making sure you have the fruit evenly distributed.









Return to refrigerator this time keeping the container flat and leave til ready to serve and it has completely congealed.

When ready to serve, you can cut it in squares or spoon it out. If you are using a large spoon, it will still come out in layers.

No comments:

Post a Comment