Tuesday, July 7, 2015

ORANGE MALLOW AMBROSIA

Summer and gelatin are two things that just seem to go hand and hand together. I admit I probably haven't made a gelatin salad in several years. In fact, right now, I can't remember the last time I made one. But yesterday when I was flipping through a new cookbook, Women's Circle Home Cooking, looking for some good recipes to try, I kept coming back to this Orange Mallow Ambrosia salad contributed by Jean Hugh from Bethel Park, PA. 

On a whim, I had bought a package of orange gelatin the last time I went to Aldi's. That was the base for the recipe.  I also had all the other ingredients so I quit looking for something to make to take to Hillcrest Thrift Shop this week and went to the kitchen ready to make Orange Mallow Ambrosia. I usually think of coconut when I hear the word "ambrosia" but this salad doesn't contain any coconut. 

And it is just what these hot summer days call for.




ORANGE MALLOW AMBROSIA

1        (3 ounce - 4 serving size) package orange gelatin
3/4   cup boiling water
2       cups ice cubes
1        cup whipped topping, thawed
1        (11 ounce) can mandarin orange sections, drained
1        cup miniature marshmallows, white or colored
1        (15-1/2 or 20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained.


Dissolve the gelatin in the boiling water. (I heated the water in the microwave for about 1-1/2 minutes on High in my 4 cup measuring cup.)


Add ice cubes and 


stir constantly until it starts to thicken, about 3 minutes. (I set my timer for 3 minutes.)


Remove any unmelted ice.


Add the whipped topping, blending until smooth.


Stir in oranges, marshmallows, and pineapple. (At this point I had to transfer my mixture to a larger mixing bowl. Next time I will start with this 4 quart bowl.)


Pour into a serving bowl or molds. (I used an 8 x 8 - inch square glass dish.) 


I added a few more marshmallows so they generally covered the top of the dish. 


I gently pressed them down in the mixture to wet them like the other ones were.


Chill until set. 

No comments:

Post a Comment