Thursday, August 13, 2015

LAZY WOMAN'S CAKE

I discovered Amish365.com when I noticed I was getting traffic to my blog from there. It is a newletter "Exploring Amish Stories, Recipes & News from Maine to Montana" from Editor Kevin Williams. He discovered my blog and has featured some of my Amish recipes in his newsletter.

The other day when I was reading it, I saw some recipes that looked interesting from his Top Stories. When I needed something that would be fast and easy to make to take to Hillcrest Thrift Shop on Tuesday, I decided to try Lazy Woman's Cake. 

It was just what fit my mood. You see I had been busy making another new dessert that I will be sharing tomorrow and a casserole for dinner and was just really feeling lazy. I had actually been planning since last week what I was going to make, but it was more trouble than I felt like taking.

The recipe said to frost with icing, but the one picture Kevin had showed just powdered sugar on top. To tell the truth if the title were true and the woman was lazy, that's exactly what she would do....just sprinkle some powdered sugar on top. I baked the cake Monday night and covered it with foil for the night,

I really intended to do exactly that the next morning before heading out. But during the night I got to thinking/dreaming about it and decided I would get up and make an easy icing for it. Since the recipe didn't give one, I had to search through a cookbook The Farmhouse Kitchen from the Amish Community in Greenville, PA for one. I didn't really have to look that hard as they had quite a few to choose from.

Well, it was a big hit with the volunteers. That always makes me feel good. (I thought it was a big hit, also. Love the icing, too.)



LAZY WOMAN'S CAKE

2       cups sugar (I used only 1-1/2 cups and everyone thought it was sweet enough)
3       cups flour
1        teaspoon salt
2       heaping teaspoons baking sod
5       tablespoons cocoa
1        scant cup cooking oil (I used 2/3 + 1/4 cup)
1        tablespoon vanilla
2       tablespoons vinegar
2       cups cold water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan.


In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, flour, salt, and baking soda with a whisk.

Sift in the cocoa and whisk together.


Make a well in the center of the mixture.


Add the oil, vanilla, vinegar, and water.


Mix with a wooden spoon until thoroughly combined and smooth. I used a whisk at the end just to make sure it was all smooth.


Pour into pan ...

and bake for 30 minutes. Check doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. It should come out clean.


Cool completely in pan on wire rack.








Frost with icing.



CHOCOLATE CREAM FROSTING

3/4      cups chocolate chips (Use any you like...I used milk chocolate chips)
3          tablespoons butter
1/4       cup + 2 tablespoons sour cream (I used lite sour cream)
3/4      teaspoon vanilla
1/8       teaspoon salt
2          cups powdered sugar, sifted


In a bowl, melt the chips and butter in the microwave.
Heat on HIGH for 15 seconds, stir...


Heat for 15 more seconds and
stir til smooth. Repeat if necessary. It was long enough for me.


Add sour cream, vanilla, and salt
and stir til smooth.


Add powered sugar 1 cup at a time stirring with a wooden spoon 
til smooth.








Frost the cake


Remember you can print the recipe using the print icon below. You will have the option to remove images when the print window opens. If you do not see the print icon below, you need to scroll back up to the title for this post (just under the date) and click or tap on it. That will take you to just this post and the print icon will be at the bottom before the share icons.

No comments:

Post a Comment