Thursday, August 20, 2015

CHOCOLATE (CHIP) DATE NUT CAKE

This is the cake I had planned to make a few weeks ago to take to Hillcrest Thrift Shop to share with the volunteers downstairs, but didn't feel like going to all the trouble. Well, it wasn't any trouble at all. It cooks longer than most 9 x 13 - inch cakes do, but that is it. The recipe said to cook for 1 hour or until cake begins to pull away from sides of the pan. I was afraid that an hour was too long so I started watching it after 45 minutes. I did take it out of the oven about 5 minutes early.

I also made the recipe with no sugar added. I used stevia for the sugar. It can't be called sugar free because there is the natural sugar in the dates and of course the chocolate chips even though they are semi-sweet, they do have added sugar. It tasted really good and the volunteers were most appreciative.

Oh, I almost forgot. I found the recipe in my newest cookbook, America Bowman Keeping Room from historic Weston, Missouri.



CHOCOLATE DATE NUT CAKE

1         cup pitted dates, chopped
1         teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2  cups boiling water
3/4    cups butter (1-1/2 sticks)
1         cup sugar (I used stevia)
1         egg
2        cups flour
2        teaspoons baking powder
2        teaspoons salt
1/2     cup sugar (I used stevia)
1/2     cup chopped black walnuts
6        ounces (1 cup) semi-sweet chocolate morsels

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray or grease a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan.


In a small bowl, combine the dates with the soda and boiling water. Stir and set aside.


In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and first cup of sugar (stevia) till fluffy. 
(I heated the butter for 20 seconds in the microwave first to soften it slightly.)


Add the egg and beat until light.


Sift the flour with the baking powder and salt .


Add to the creamed mixture, alternately with the date mixture, starting and ending with the flour mixture - I do flour 3 times and liquid twice)


Pour the batter in the pan.


Combine the 1/2 cup of sugar (stevia) with the black walnuts and chocolate morsels.


Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the top of the cake.


Bake for 1 hour or until cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan. (I cooked mine about 55 minutes.)


Serve with slightly sweetened whipped cream. (I used sugar - free Cool Whip.)


My husband liked it without the Cool Whip; he just eat it like a bar cookie.






The stevia gave the cake a different look on top. It looked like a dusting of snow. I am sure  if you used sugar, the sugar would have settled more in the top of the cake. The taste is still great, but if you prefer to use sugar, that is your choice.

When I have a post with lots of pictures, I like to remind the reader that you can print the recipe using the print icon below and you will have the option to remove images when the print window opens. If you do not see the print icon below, you need to scroll back up to the title for this post (just under the date) and click or tap on it. That will take you to just this post and the print icon will be at the bottom before the share icons. Home will take you back to my blog and the most recent posts. You can also get back there by clicking on my blog title My Patchwork Quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment