Tuesday, August 18, 2015

CHOCOLATE MACAROON PIE

I wrote the first post for this Chocolate Macaroon Pie last Wednesday night. I spent almost three hours that night. I was almost finished and ready to schedule it for the Friday when I accidentally erased the whole thing. I was in shock, to say the least. I couldn't believe it. I had spent a lot of those hours researching about a restaurant in Weston, MO, a town northwest of Kansas City that dates back to before 1850. I had included several links if you were interested in reading more about it. But in a flash, it was all gone.

I was numb....I felt "sick".  I was glad I already had something to share with you on Thursday and a recipe from a friend was easy to write up Thursday night (when I was feeling not quite so numb) to share on Friday. I was regretting buying a new laptop computer the weekend before. 

I had had problems a couple of times earlier in the week with my cursor jumping around on me and even accidentally erased a paragraph. I had tried to find a solution for the problems I was having, but not having too much luck. Thursday morning I decided I would call tech support for Dell and see if they could help me. They kept hanging up on me after I "pushed 2".  Finally I saw a "help" link and ended up in "settings". After reading options, I decided the best thing for me was to "hook" up a mouse and set the touchpad to be off when the mouse was connected. So far (fingers crossed) my problems appear to be solved. The cursor has jumped around once and I haven't had an area go blue and then be erased. Using the mouse isn't so bad. In many ways I like it better. I have also discovered by experimenting that if you "cut" something, if you go back and right click again you can "undo" it. If I had known that Wednesday night I wouldn't be telling you about this now. But maybe this will help some of you.

The reason I was sharing information with you about America Bowman's Keeping Room in historic Weston, MO is because that is where I found this recipe for Chocolate Macaroon Pie. After researching and not happy with the limited information I was finding online, I found two different places in the cookbook that explained who America Bowman was. I should have looked at the cookbook more thoroughly and I could have saved myself some time and trouble. You can read about historic Weston HERE and HERE. According to the cookbook, America was "born in Kentucky on July 4, 1817. Her Pennsylvania born husband, Joseph Bowman, filed his pre-emption claim on a rich riverfront farm in 1843. Eight years later, with the help of their three children - James, Charles and Susan - the Bowmans built their Weston home  high on a hill overlooking the town." "It was this bit of history that the Patrick O'Malleys purchased in the spring of 1972. Five years later, in the spring of 1977, Barbara and Pat, with their children Kathleen, Barbara and Sean opened the America Bowman Keeping Room Restaurant and Bowman Wine Cellars Winery, named inn honor of Joseph and America Bowman."



CHOCOLATE MACAROON PIE

3         squares (ounces) unsweetened chocolate
1/2      cup butter
3         eggs, slightly beaten
3/4     cup sugar (I used stevia)
1/2      cup flour
1          teaspoon vanilla
2/3     cup sweetened condensed milk (I made my homemade recipe)
2-1/2  cups flaked moist coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 - inch pie pan.


Melt chocolate and butter over low heat in small saucepan. 
Stir til chocolate melts.


Combine eggs, sugar (stevia), flour, and vanilla.


Add the melted chocolate mixture. I did a little at a time.


Mixture will be thick.


Spread into the pie plate using a spoon or your fingers to form the mixture to the edges of the plate. Leave about 1/2 inch around the sides. It looks like you might have pressed a smaller pie plate over the mixture when you are finished.


Combine the milk and coconut.


Spoon over the chocolate just to fill in the "shell".

Bake for 30 minutes.


This is what mine looked like when I first took it out of the oven.


When it had cooled a little,
I took a wet cloth and cleaned up the edges so that it looked nicer.


Serve warm.


I think it taste really good with a scoop of ice cream.

My husband liked it even when it was cold.





When I have a post with lots of pictures, I like to remind you that you can print the recipe using the print icon below and you will have the option to remove images when the print window opens. If you do not see the print icon below, you need to scroll back up to the title for this post (just under the date) and click or tap on it. That will take you to just this post and the print icon will be at the bottom before the share icons. Home will take you back to my blog and the most recent posts. You can also get back there by clicking on my blog title My Patchwork Quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment