Monday, August 10, 2015

APPLESAUCE NUGGETS

Last week when we were helping our son and his family move into their "new" home, I took most of the Oatmeal - Date Protein Poppers and Lacy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies up there in case anyone needed a boost of energy. That meant though that my cookie jar was empty when we came home. I had a break from the work Wednesday morning and chose this recipe for Applesauce Nuggets in Phyllis Pellman Good and Rachel Thomas Pellman's from Amish and Mennonite kitchens cookbook. The cookies went together quickly and just hit the spot. I just didn't take pictures along the way like I usually do.

I made a couple of changes in the recipe which I shared in the ingredients. One change I didn't make was with the butterscotch pieces. I don't know what it is, but they really make a cookie taste delicious. My husband noticed them right away. The whole wheat flour works great in recipes that include spices and applesauce. We didn't notice the change, but I use whole wheat pastry flour as much as I can.



APPLESAUCE NUGGETS

1       cup brown sugar (I used 1/2 cup of brown sugar blend)
1/2   cup shortening
1       large egg
1       cup applesauce (I used unsweetened applesauce)
2      cups flour (I used 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour and 1 cup all - purpose flour)
1/2   teaspoon salt
1       teaspoon baking soda
1/2   teaspoon cinnamon
1/4   teaspoon cloves (I omitted because I didn't have any - my husband is not real fond of cloves either)
1/2   teaspoon allspice
1/2   teaspoon nutmeg
1/2   cup chopped pecans
1       cup butterscotch pieces

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease cookie sheet. (I lined my cookie sheets with parchment paper instead)

Cream sugar and shortening.

Add egg and applesauce and beat well.

Sift together the flour, salt, soda, and spices. Stir into creamed mixture

Stir in chopped pecans and butterscotch pieces.


Drop by heaping teaspoons onto cookie sheet. (I used my scoop that holds 1 tablespoon of water.
I also tried flattening the scoop slightly.)


Bake for 10 - 12 minutes.

Cool on wire rack. The first pan is on the left and the second pan when I flattened them are on the right.

They both taste the same. It's just depends if you have a preference for the "looks" of your cookie.

Here are pictures of my two grandchildren helping unpack their books and putting them in their bookcases. They were so excited to see their new rooms and to also see their "things" again.


 

Remember if you want to print the recipe using the print icon below, you will have the option to remove images when the print window opens. If you do not see the print icon, you need to tap/click on the title of this post and it will take you to just this post. Then you will see the print icon with the share buttons. Home will return you to my blog's most recent posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment