Monday, August 3, 2015

OATMEAL DATE PROTEIN POPPERS

I love the little mini-muffins I call "Poppers". I guess I just like most things "mini". I am always wanting to make breads/quick breads in the smaller mini loaves instead of big loaves. That way I'm not tempted to eat a lot of it before it goes bad or gets stale. I can enjoy one loaf while I freeze the other ones. Then I can bring a loaf out of the freezer whenever I have a hankering for it or need it when friends are going to be dropping by and I don't have time to make something.The same is true for muffins, especially ones I consider "healthy" and not necessarily "sweet".  

Recently, my husband went to the grocery store when I guess he was hunger. (Those times are not when you should go to the store.) Anyway, he came back with these (expensive) date protein balls that even though they were small, I could only eat part of one. When I saw them, I told him I had plenty of recipes for similar snack. All he had to do was tell me and I would make him some.

Well, Saturday morning, I got up before he did (which is normal unless he is going to play golf) and looked for something to make. The heat was returning for the weekend, after a couple of days only in the 80s, and I knew if I were going to do any baking I needed to do it before the day heated up.

The first recipe I saw on my little desk was this recipe for Oatmeal Date Protein Muffins that I had copied down on a piece of note paper. I remembered the purchased balls and thought I would surprise my husband and make them. 

I really didn't decide to make them in my mini muffin pan until I saw how much the recipe produced. (I was bad when I wrote down the recipe...I didn't include where I had found the recipe or even how much it made.) This new mini-muffin pan that makes 24 muffins that I found at an estate sale was on top of my pans in the drawer under the oven. That's when I decided to make my little "poppers". The recipe made that pan (24) plus 8 more in another muffin pan I found at an antique mall that is just a tiny bit larger than the other mini-muffin pan.I filled each cup with 2 tablespoons of batter...I have a scoop I use for making cookies that holds a tablespoon of water.

They were really good. I ended up eating 2 of them with a glass of milk for my breakfast. Oh, my husband was pleased also.



OATMEAL DATE PROTEIN POPPERS

3     cups quick oats
3     scoops vanilla protein powder
1      teaspoon baking powder
1      teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2  teaspoon coarse sea salt
2     eggs
1      teaspoon vanilla
1/2  cup cinnamon applesauce (I used unsweetened applesauce and just added 1/2 teaspoon more cinnamon.)
1/2  cup light nonfat vanilla yogurt (I used plain nonfat Greek yogurt)
2     tablespoons coconut oil, melted (15 seconds in the microwave)
1/4  cup raw honey
1      cup milk (I used skim milk)
1      cup chopped dates

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray.

In a large bowl combine the oats, protein powder, baking powder, cinnamon, and sea salt. with a whisk.

In a smaller bowl, combine the eggs, vanilla, applesauce, yogurt, coconut oil, honey, and milk with the whisk.

Pour the wet mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir to combine.

Add the dates.

Fill the muffin cups full (2 scoops of batter - 2 tablespoons in the mini muffin tin).

Sprinkle the tops with a little oats.

Bake for 12 - 14 minutes for poppers and 18 - 23 minutes for regular size muffins. Bake til the centers bounce back when lightly pressed.

Cool on wire rack. Run a knife around the edges of the muffins to see if they are ready to remove. (I didn't have to wait very long.)

Continue cooling on wire rack.














Remember, if you wish to print this recipe using the print icon below, you will be given the option to "remove images" when the print window opens. If you do not see the print icon below, you need to go back to the title of this post and tap/click on it. Then just this post will open and the print button will be included with the share buttons at the bottom. Home will return you to the blog and the most recent posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment