Monday, August 24, 2015

ORANGE SORBET

My mother used to make homemade custard ice cream whenever the family got together. (Family here means her family and their kids.) Being an "only child", I didn't have a "brother" or "sister" who shared my last name, but I had lots of cousins who were like brothers and sisters to me. Her ice cream was so delicious. Even though we all knew if we ate it too fast, we would have "brain freeze", we still did. If we waited just a minute or two, it would pass.

When I saw this recipe for orange sorbet in a KitchenAid  3 Speed Classic Blender Instructions and Recipes booklet I got at an estate sale, I thought it sounded so good and wanted to give it a try. 

I also had a Mirro aluminum fridge refrigerator container and lid that was long and slender that people used to use when they made ice cream, etc. that I got at an estate sale quite a while back and had never used. This looked like the perfect time to use it.

It was super easy and absolutely delicious! I did use orange juice that had no sugar added and I could tell the difference. It wasn't very sweet but that's what we are used to. If you want sweet, you will probably want to buy frozen orange juice that is sweet.



ORANGE SORBET

1       can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
1       cup water
1       can (6 ounces) frozen orange juice concentrate (I did use one that had no sugar added)
1/4   cup powdered sugar
1       tablespoon fresh lemon juice


Place all ingredients in blender jar. Cover and blend at LIQUEFY, about 15 to 20 seconds.
Pour into freezer container and freeze until almost set, about 3 to 4 hours. (I did have to leave mine for 4 hours.)



Scrape into blender jar and
blend at LIQUEFY until smooth, about 1 minute.
Pour back into freezer container. Freeze until hard, about 5 to 6 hours. (I made mine the day before and left it overnight +)


Yield 6 servings.










Remember if you want to print the recipe using the print icon below, you will have the option to remove images when the print window opens. If you do not see the print icon, you need to tap/click on the title of this post and it will take you to just this post. Then you will see the print icon with the share buttons. Home will return you to my blog's most recent posts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment