Saturday, January 19, 2013

ROBERT E. LEE'S GINGERSNAPS

This is another recipe in my spiral notebook that I have collected over the years.  I wrote the recipe down but didn't indicate where I had found it.  I never got around to trying it and then found another recipe for whole wheat gingersnaps that I did try and liked. (See that recipe HERE.)  So I would see the recipe every time I looked thru the notebook, but thought "another day".

"Another day" finally came earlier this week.  The original recipe said it made about 10 dozen cookies.  I didn't want to make that many so I decided to cut the recipe in half.  I used my 1-inch scoop to form the cookies and I only made 2-1/2 dozen so I am not sure how they said the recipe made 10 dozen cookies.  If you want to make more than I did, then just double the ingredient amounts.



ROBERT E. LEE'S GINGER SNAPS

3/4    cup margarine, melted (1-1/2 sticks)
1/4    cup molasses
1       cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup truvia baking blend)
1       egg
2       cups flour (I used 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour and 1 cup soft wheat flour)
2       teaspoons baking soda
1       teaspoon ground cinnamon
1       teaspoon ground ginger (I increased the amount of ginger from the original recipe.)
1/2    teaspoon ground cloves
Extra sugar to roll cookies in before baking. (I just put a couple spoonfuls in a small bowl and added more as I needed it.)


1)  With mixer, beat together the melted butter, molasses, sugar, and egg.









2)  Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves with a whisk.









3)  Add dry mixture to wet mixture all at once. 










4)  Beat til smooth.











5)  Refrigerate for 2 hours.  (I left mine in the refrigerator for 4 hours because I had to go to handbells practice and eat.)






6)  Remove from refrigerator.  Work in additional flour (1/2 cup) if necessary.  (I didn't add any more flour.)  Shape into small balls 1- inch in diameter and roll in sugar. (I used my 1-inch scoop to form the cookies. 


I simply dropped the "ball" in the bowl of sugar and then just rolled it in the sugar with my fingers.)








7)  Bake at 350 degrees F. for 8 - 10 minutes on ungreased cookie sheets.  (Cookies will spread as they bake, so don't crowd on the cookie sheet.)






8)  Remove from oven and cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes.













9)  Remove and continue cooling on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment