Monday, September 2, 2019

APPLE-CHERRY COBBLER

I intended to share this recipe for Apple-Cherry Cobbler last Friday, but Friend Janice and I went out on Thursday instead of Friday because it was forecasted to rain Friday. Usually there are more estate sales starting on Thursday, but not this week. There were only 6 sales listed starting Thursday and they were spread out all over the area. I decided to take us to the sale in Kearney because I knew we could always go shopping in Liberty. 

We ended up going to the one sale and then driving to Liberty since Kearney doesn't really have any shops we were interested in. I have been wanting to get some new rugs for my kitchen and so except for going to one shoe store, we spent the rest of the day (except when we stopped and ate lunch at Pizza Ranch) on a mission trying to find some rugs the right size. By 4:00 we were beat and ready to call it a day. It isn't nearly as tiring going to estate sales. (My husband Wayne and I spent about 2 more hours after I got home returning and buying more and finally settling for some.) Needless to say, I didn't have it in me to write the post.

I made this cobbler Monday afternoon to take to the thrift shop (HPC Thrift Shop) for the other volunteers when I "worked" my shift at the register on Tuesday morning. I usually take cake or sweet bread, but this cobbler looked good and I thought they could handle it. Actually cold I was able to cut it in squares and they could dish it out. I recommended to them to heat it up a bit in the microwave but I don't know if anyone bothered. If you want to reduce the calories, use no-sugar-added Eleanore Hill from Fresno, CA for Taste of Home The New Potluck cookbook, the best recipes for today's "bring-a-dish" meals.

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.


CHERRY-CHERRY COBBLER

1       egg, beaten
1/2    cup sugar
1/2    cup milk
2       tablespoons oil
1       cup flour
2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1       can (21 - ounces) apple pie filling
1       can (21 - ounces) cherry pie filling
1       tablespoon lemon juice
1       teaspoon vanilla extract

TOPPING
1/3    cup packed brown sugar
3       tablespoons flour
2       tablespoons butter, softened
1       teaspoon ground cinnamon

Whipped cream or ice cream, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan. Set aside.

In a bowl, combine the egg, sugar, milk, and oil.
Combine flour and baking powder;
add to egg mixture and
blend well til smooth with a whisk.
Pour into pan. Set aside.


Combine the pie fillings, lemon juice, and vanilla.
(I cut the apple slices in the apple pie filling into chunks so there would be more spread out with the cherries.)
Spoon evenly over the batter.


Prepare topping, by combining the brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon with a fork and
then working in the soften butter til
well blended.
Sprinkle ever filling.
Bake 40 to 45 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack.

Serve with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment