Wednesday, August 28, 2019

CHERRY PIE

🎵Cherry. Cherry Pie! 🎵 Hard to believe I made my first cherry pie last Friday. True. It is even harder to believe because cherry pie is really high on my list of favorite pies. 

There were only 3 couples coming to our house Friday night for Couples Bridge. Friend Sandy told me to go light so I thought one pie would be enough. I could add ice cream if anyone wanted it and that would be more filling if someone didn't want to go "light". 

Sandy's husband Ed was surprised when I said it was my first cherry pie to ever make. He really liked it. Friend Jan's husband Byron asked me if I made the crust. I had to admit to him that I didn't. I took the easy way out and used Great Value refrigerator pie crusts. You can't beat them for bought pie crusts! Since Sandy had said to go light, I substituted a half a cup of stevia/sugar baking blend for the cup of sugar. Everyone agreed the pie was sweet enough. (I was afraid to try a cup of just stevia for the cup of sugar, but I might give it a try for just us.)

The recipe came from an older cookbook called Louise Durman's Desserts. Louise was the Food Editor for the Knoxville News-Sentinel in Knoxville, Tennessee.

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.



CHERRY PIE

2     (1-pound) cans sour pie cherries (I used 2 (15 - oz) cans tart cherries)
1     cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup stevia/sugar baking blend)
1/4  cup cornstarch
1/4  teaspoon salt
1     cup cherry liquid (exact amount I had when I drained the 2 cans of cherries)
1     tablespoon lemon juice
2     tablespoons butter
1/4  teaspoon almond flavoring
Pastry for double-crust pie

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.


Drain cherries, reserve liquid.


Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a saucepan.
Gradually add cherry liquid and lemon juice.
Stir until smooth.
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick and clear.
Remove from heat. Stir in butter,
almond flavoring, and cherries.
Fold in gently. 
Line a 9 - inch pie plate with one of the pastries.
Pour in cherry mixture.
Cover with top crust.
Tuck top crust under the bottom crust to seal edges.
Crimp if you like.
Cut slits in top crust to allow the steam to escape.


Bake  for 10 minutes, then reduce temperature to 375 degrees and bake 25 to 30 minutes longer. (I did bake mine 30 more minutes so the crust would be a little browner.) Cool on wire rack.

Can add a scoop of ice cream for Cherry Pie a la mode.








Really pretty pie!



No comments:

Post a Comment