Monday, August 26, 2019

QUICK ICEBOX PIE

I am making up for the month of almost no cooking. This past week I have made a dessert every other day for some event. Last Wednesday the bell ringers got together after taking the summer off for fellowship and to discuss the new year. I offered to bring - you guessed it - dessert for the potluck. 

I bought this cookbook of favorite recipes of home economics teachers called "Life-Saver" Cookbook for a dollar at an estate sale last week because of this recipe and one other one.  Friend Janice said it sounded like a recipe her family used to make. It was contributed by Mrs. Fran Dobbs at Bonham High School in Bonham, Texas. She stated you could use other frozen fruits instead of strawberries. Mixed berries would probably taste good - the ones without the strawberries. Mrs. Dobbs didn't indicate which size of Cool Whip to use other than saying a "lg" carton. I decided to buy a 12 - oz carton, but in my haste, picked up a 16 - oz carton. I didn't even know they made one that big. It is sometimes hard to find a 12 - oz carton. Well, Mrs. Dobbs definitely didn't intend to use a 16 - oz carton because I had way too much mixture for the two pies. You might even get by with an 8 - oz one. 

Everyone at the potluck said it tasted great whether I had too much whipped topping or not. I think it might taste "richer" with only an 8 - oz carton. This pie is perfect for dessert after a heavy meal. It is so light and delicious!

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.



QUICK ICEBOX PIE

1     can sweetened condensed milk
1/3  cup lemon juice
1     12 - oz carton of whipped topping  (An 8 - oz one might work)
1     10 - ounce carton of frozen sliced strawberries, thawed
1     cup chopped pecans
2     graham cracker crusts


Combine milk, lemon juice, and whipped topping in a mixing bowl,
mixing thoroughly.
Fold in strawberries and pecans.



Pour into crusts. Chill until ready to serve. (May need to freeze pies. Let set out for a bit before cutting. I poured too much in each pie crust and
still had enough to pour in a 1 quart corning ware casserole. That's why I think even an 8 - oz carton of whipped topping would be enough,
)



No comments:

Post a Comment