Monday, September 16, 2019

BANANA SNACK CAKE

I only go to the thrift shop to "work" on Mondays once a month. I used to have a conflict with the quilting group at church, Blankets of Hope, that meets on the second Tuesday of the month so I couldn't go on the second Tuesday and decided to go in on the day before. Just last month we changed our meeting time from the morning to the afternoon for Blankets of Hope which means I could go in the morning to the thrift shop. I considered it but decided I would stay with the Monday schedule because some of the volunteers I see on Monday don't volunteer on Tuesday. We have 200+ different volunteers at the shop.

Even though I only go once a month, the volunteers on Monday are happy to see me and what I have brought them to eat. It didn't take long for word to get out re this Banana Snack Cake and it was all gone an hour after I got there. Someone even left me a note on a napkin on the pan that said, "Yummy! Thanks!"

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.


BANANA SNACK CAKE

1/2       cup shortening
3/4       cup packed brown sugar
1/2       cup sugar
2          eggs
1          cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 bananas)
1          teaspoon vanilla extract
2          cups flour (all-purpose or whole wheat flour)
1          teaspoon baking soda
1          teaspoon salt
1/2       cup buttermilk
1/2       cup chopped nuts

FROSTING:
1/2       cup packed brown sugar
1/4       cup butter
6          tablespoons milk
2-1/2    cups powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan. Set aside.

In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugars.
Add eggs, one at a time,
beating well after each addition.
Beat in bananas and vanilla.
Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt;
add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. (Starting and ending with flour.) 
Stir in nuts.
Pour batter in pan and
bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
Cool in pan on a wire rack.


For frosting, combine the brown sugar, butter, and milk in a saucepan over medium heat.
Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes stirring constantly.
Remove from the heat,
and cool to lukewarm.
Gradually beat in powdered sugar until
frosting reaches a spreading consistency.
Frost the cooled cake.




No comments:

Post a Comment