Friday, September 6, 2019

FAMOUS DEPARTMENT STORE BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

When I lived in Florida, my favorite store to go to was Jordan Marsh. I moved away from Florida after only living there 3 years when I got married. I never saw another Jordan Marsh. I didn't know until I saw this recipe on King Arthur Flour, that the company was bought out by Macy's in the mid 1990's. On the third flour was a restaurant and I loved to go there and eat one of their famous blueberry muffins. They were just chocked full of blueberries and had a sugary crust on top of the muffin. I knew I had to try the recipe when I saw it and oh my goodness they are just as good as I remember them being. 

They are so full of blueberries, I just had to take a picture of the first one I was eating. The picture is at the bottom of the post. They are great warmed up in the microwave for about 20 seconds on the second day if they last that long.


Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.



FAMOUS DEPARTMENT STORE BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

1/2       cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
1          cup sugar
2          large eggs
2          teaspoons baking powder
1/2       teaspoon salt
1          teaspoon vanilla extract
2          cups flour
1/2       cup milk
2-1/2    cup (1 pint package) blueberries, fresh preferred
1/4       cup sugar, for topping

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a standard 12-cup muffin tin. (If you use paper cup liners, grease the papers.)

In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar together til well combined.
Add the eggs, one at a time scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl and beating well after each addition. 
Beat in the baking powder, salt, and vanilla.
Add the flour alternately with the milk, beating gently just to combine.
(Start and end with the flour.) Scrape the sides and the bottom of bowl.


Mash 1/2 cup of the blueberries.
Add the mashed berries and whole berries to the batter and
fold them in just to cover and distribute the berries in the batter.


Use a ice cream scoop that holds 1/4 cup water and scoop out the batter by a slightly heaped 1/4 cup.

Smooth out the top of each muffin and
then sprinkle about 1 teaspoon granulated sugar on top of each muffin. (Be generous.)
Bake muffins for about 30 minutes, or until light golden brown on top.


Remove from oven and run a knife around the edges to loosen the muffins. Continue to cool on wire rack for 5 more minutes and
then remove muffins to wire rack to finish cooling. (It will help to run the knife around the muffins again to remove since some berries might be on the bottom.)


Tips from King Arthur Flour Bakers:

If you use frozen berries, don't crush any. Also rinse them several times in cold water and then pat dry with paper towels before using them.

No comments:

Post a Comment