Wednesday, September 11, 2019

A NEW PATRIOTIC LAP QUILT

I have been making quilts and quilted items by a method I call Sew & Quilt-In-One for over seven years. I think the first one I made was for my soon-to-be-born granddaughter Madison. 

The second time I tried it I tweaked the method and made placemats for myself. I made so many different placemats - each a little different for different seasons. 

Before too long I decided to expand and make lap size quilts and I don't know how many of those I have made and taught others to make. I wrote a tutorial for the placemats and shared it on Pinterest and it became very, very popular. The post/tutorial was even picked up by QuiltingDigest. 

The name of the method got changed (by others on Pinterest) and so you might see it as Flip and Sew. Whatever you call it, I love the results and how easy it is to make a quilt. 

Since that very first post, I have updated it and written other posts and have links to them on that post. As I grew with this blog and started taking more pictures, I thought beginners, esp, would enjoy seeing more pictures illustrating the process. 

Recently my husband and I were in a quilt shop because I wanted to see the finished quilts they always have on display and maybe get a new idea for a quilt. That's when I saw two baby quilts that they had done by the Sew & Quilt-In-One (Flip and Sew) method. The only difference was they had added an inch strip between each wider strip. I really liked it and was surprised I hadn't thought of doing that before.

Not too many days later, I decided I would make a patriotic lap quilt for Blankets of Hope, the quilting group at the church that I am a member of but add the narrow strip between each wider strip. It is just so beautiful! I feel like no one should be so proud and pleased with something they have made, but I just can't help it. I gathered all of my patriotic fabric and hoped I had enough that I wouldn't have to repeat a print. It would be okay if you did, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to. Several of the pieces I had were fat quarters so I couldn't use them as I needed the full width of the fabric, but it worked out that I had exactly enough to do it the way I envisioned it.  



I cut each strip 3-1/2 inches wide across the width of the fabric. The red, white, and blue solid strips, I cut 1-1/2 inches wide. I laid the strips out on my bed to make sure the placement was good for each print. 

You will cut the backing fabric the size you want to make the quilt. (We usually make our lap throws 42 x 48 - inches.) The batting needs to be cut about the same size. Make sure one end of the batting and backing are cut on a straight line as you will use this edge when you line up the first two strips. With this quilt, every other strip is the narrow solid color strip. As you work/sew across the strip, us a measure to measure the outer edge of the strip with an earlier seam to make sure the seams run straight. This will correct any errors in cutting or the result of sewing and pressing. 

When I make placemats or smaller items, I do not pin the three layers together before I sew, but with larger projects like a quilt, it helps. After you have worked your way across the quilt, you will trim the quilt down to the finished size. You can use the seams as guides for being straight on the quilt. AND why I love this method - when you have trimmed the edges up straight, all you have to do is sew on your binding and the quilt is finished. You can really make the quilt in a day or maybe a day and a half, depending on how much of your time is free to sew.

If you would like to see illustrations (photos) you can check out these following posts. You can also see some of the really cute blankets I have made. 

This ONE is the first one on placemats. I have updated it to include hot pads and the baby quilts.

This ONE shows more pictures and is especially good for making larger than placemat size items. I also share how to do the binding in a way you will never dread making binding again, especially joining the two ends when you get around to where you started. Since I wrote those tutorials I have changed when I cut the strips for binding (2-1/4 inches for quilts) and I no longer draw the line for sewing the strips together to make the long strip. If you hold the two strips perpendicular together, you can just "eye it" and sew from one intersection across to the other one. Basically following that line that I drew in the pictures but you are just seeing it in you mind.

It is a great way to use your scraps. If you don't have enough scraps with the entire width of the fabric, sew a square after the strip and add another print. (I really need to make one this way as I don't think I have !😊)

I hope you will check out the tutorials and give it a try if you never have. And now - one last look at the patriotic quilt. I will also show you the back of the quilt. Remember when you sewed the three layers together - the strips on top + batting+ backing (right side down), your seams shows on the back as you sewed it. Use the color you want to see on the backing for the thread you use to sew the strips down.



Happy Quilting!

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Dianne. So easy to do. Hope you will give it a try sometimes. So glad you have joined Blankets of Hope! Patricia

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the nice blog. It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us. rice I am impressed by the quality of information on this website. There are a lot of good resources here. I am sure I will visit this place again soon.

    ReplyDelete