Wednesday, September 4, 2019

DEEP-DISH PEACH CUSTARD PIE

As long as peaches are available in the stores, I am going to be looking for new recipes to try with them. I am not always lucky with the ones I buy though. I think the stores have had them in cold storage and they are not good at all. This year the ones I have bought from Hy-Vee have been super (after I bring them home and leave them in a closed paper sack for a few days to ripen).

This recipe for Deep-Dish Peach Custard Pie was in one of my favorite cookbooks simply called Amish Cooking. I have so many tabs on pages of recipes to try. I made this pie "just for us" which my husband Wayne loves. It isn't super sweet and the sweet taste of ripe peaches is so delicious.

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.


DEEP-DISH PEACH CUSTARD PIE

1         unbaked 9 - inch deep-dish pie shell
3-1/2  cups peeled, pitted, and sliced peaches
1         can (14 - ounces) sweetened condensed milk
2         large eggs
1/4      cup butter, melted (1/2 stick)
1 to 3  teaspoons lemon juice (I used 3 teaspoons)
1/2      teaspoon ground cinnamon

Streusel Topping:
1/3      cup packed brown sugar
1/3      cup flour
1/3      cup chopped walnuts
2         tablespoons butter

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. 

Line a deep-dish pie plate with pie shell/crust,
arrange peaches in pie shell.

Combine milk, eggs, butter, lemon juice, and cinnamon in a large mixer bowl.
Beat until smooth.
Pour over peaches.


Bake pie for 10 minutes.
Prepare topping while pie is baking: Combine the brown sugar, flour, and walnuts in a small bowl using a fork.
Cut butter with a fork, pastry cutter, or two knives until
mixture resembles coarse crumbs.


Remove pie from oven and lower temperature to 350 degrees F. Sprinkle the streusel topping over the partially baked pie.
Return pie to oven and bake 55 to 60 more minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. (I just cooked mine 55 more minutes. It looked done and I hate to mess up the looks of a pie by inserting a knife.)


Cool pie on wire rack.


No comments:

Post a Comment