Wednesday, January 30, 2019

DOUBLE CHEESE BAKE

I've been wanting to make this baked macaroni/cheese and ham ever since I saw it in Friend Vali's cookbook, Country Cooking by the Amish of Buchanan County, Iowa. Vali is a fellow volunteer at the thrift shop (HPC Thrift Shop). The cookbook was old, but she loaned it to me because she knows how much I love trying Amish recipes. When she asked for it back, I ended up having to copy some recipes down that I wanted to try, but just hadn't gotten around to them. When I cooked some dry Great Northern Beans last week, I had to buy a package of chopped ham to add to them. Fortunately I didn't need the whole package so I knew it was a perfect time to try this recipe. 

It makes quite a bit for just two people, but my husband and I enjoyed it just as much warmed up for leftovers. (Just heat a helping in the microwave on reheat setting for pasta. Sprinkle a little water on top and cover with lid for microwaveable dish.) Another personal note: I didn't have any Swiss cheese, so I grated 6 oz of an extra sharp cheddar cheese.

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.


DOUBLE CHEESE BAKE

1       cup elbow macaroni
1/4    cup butter
1       cup soft bread crumbs
1       cup (4 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
1/2    cup (2 oz) shredded Swiss cheese
1/2    cup chopped ham
3       eggs, well beaten
1       tablespoon chopped parsley
1/4    teaspoon pepper
1-1/2 cups milk, scalded
a little paprika

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 2 quart casserole dish.


Cook macaroni according to package directions, drain. Add butter,
toss until butter coats the macaroni.
Add remaining ingredients except paprika; mix well. (I added all of the ingredients together except the milk....
then I added the milk.)


Turn into casserole dish.
Sprinkle with a little paprika.


Bake for 40 to 45 minutes.











Warms up nicely in microwave using the reheat setting for pasta (if you have it on your microwave). If you do not have this setting just use a lower power level.



2 comments:

  1. Curious, what is the purpose of scalding the milk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I have been doing research. Most of the information is not recent, but generally the news if that before pasteurization, they scalded the milk to kill any bacteria. When they talk about scalding the milk, it is in context with flour/gluten/yeast. I did find several recipes for making mac 'n cheese and they had you scald the milk. One source says that scalding the milk reduces the cooking time as it heats up the ingredients. All of the ingredients are already cooked which means often you don't have to bake it long. I did read one source that said the hot milk helped to blend the flavors together. Either way, it would probably work if you didn't, in my opinion. Patricia

      Delete