Friday, January 18, 2019

ORANGE WAKE UP CAKE

With Christmas and New Year's Day falling on Tuesday, it meant it had been weeks since the last time I had volunteered when I went in Tuesday. It was so crazy I even got confused when I signed up for January the week before Christmas and signed up to work on Tuesday the 8th. I realized my mistake when they posted a picture of the week on Facebook and commented that I couldn't come in, even though I had signed up to, on Tuesday because it was my day to go to Blankets of Hope at the church. So it had been four weeks since the last time I had been in. That's four desserts I had not made and shared with you. Gosh! That's a lot! 😋 

I spent a little while looking for just the right cake to make since it had been so long. I finally found this Orange Wake Up Cake in a booklet cookbook called Favorite Recipes  Duncan Hines BAKE Your Best. The cake was intended to be made in two nine-inch round cake pans but a Tip at the bottom of the page said it could also be baked in a 9 x 13 - inch pan and follow the box directions for baking time. That worked out great for me since I usually take either a 9 x 13 - inch cake or a Bundt cake. I did change the oven temperature and the baking time since that's what the recipe said. Well, it didn't say to change the oven temperature but since it was different than the box instructions, I decided to do so. It worked out perfect with the lower temperature so I am glad I did.

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.


ORANGE WAKE UP CAKE

CAKE
1       package yellow cake mix
3       egg whites
1-1/4 cups water
1/3    cup oil
1       tablespoon grated orange peel (I used dried orange peel)

TOPPING
1/2    cup chopped pecans
1/3    cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4    cup fine graham cracker crumbs
2       tablespoons margarine, melted (I used butter)
1       tablespoon grated orange peel (I used dried orange peel)
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

GLAZE
1       cup powdered sugar
2       tablespoons orange juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan. (If you want to make two single layer cakes, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9 - inch round cake pans.)

For the cake, 
combine the cake mix, egg whites, water, and oil in a large mixing bowl. 
Stir for about 30 seconds to moistened dry cake mix. Scrape the sides of the bowl, and 
then increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes. Fold in grated orange peel. (I added the orange peel with the other ingredients since they were dried.) Pour batter into pan(s). (Oops I forgot to take a picture, but I am sure you can imagine what it looked like. 😊)

For the topping, 
combine the chopped pecans, brown sugar, graham cracker, melted butter, orange peel, and cinnamon in smaller bowl. Stir until well mixed. 
(I combined the dry ingredients first and
then added the melted butter.
)
Sprinkle over the batter in the pan(s).


Bake for 25 minutes for larger cake and 25 - 30 minutes for smaller cakes. Check doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center of the cake(s). Toothpick should be clean.








While the cake is baking, prepare the glaze by
combining the powdered sugar and orange juice in a small bowl;
mix well.
(I sifted the powdered sugar first.) Immediately drizzle the glaze over the cake or layers.
Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment