Wednesday, January 9, 2019

ORANGE - GLAZED SWEET POTATOES

It has taken me a while to get this post written. About 6 weeks or so. That's about how long ago Thanksgiving was. For the second year in a roll, we have celebrated Thanksgiving Day with our younger son, Patrick, and his family and Lori's mother. I was told to bring my dressing, sweet potatoes (not mashed), and a pecan pie. The pie was no big deal because I could make it the day before, but the dressing and sweet potatoes I wanted to serve hot. I had to be a little creative and experiment with my recipes to make them so they would be hot.

Fortunately I have an oven roaster and plenty of slow cooker. I decided to use the oven roaster to cook the dressing and do the sweet potatoes in the slow cooker. The dressing browned a little too much around the edges, but tasted like it had baked in the oven. Check out my recipe for the dressing HERE. If you scroll down in the post, there is a link to our favorite sweet potato souffle. My husband was really disappointed when I told him they didn't want me to bring it. The sweet potato recipe I used from my Betty Crocker Cookbook was quite tasty, but I would like to try it in the oven as the recipe describes. I'm thinking they would have been more "glazed" than they were cooked in the slow cooker.


ORANGE - GLAZED SWEET POTATOES

2     lbs sweet potatoes (about 6 medium)
2/3  cup sugar (I used stevia)
1     tablespoon cornstarch
1     teaspoon salt
1/2  teaspoon grated orange peel (I use dried orange peel)
1     cup orange juice
2     tablespoon butter

Heat oven to 400 degrees F if baking in oven.

Pare sweet potatoes cut in chunks.

In a small saucepan, stir together the sugar, cornstarch, salt, and orange peel.
Slowly stir orange juice into sugar mixture.
Add butter and cook, stirring constantly,
until mixture thickens and boils.
Boil and stir 1 minute.


Pour hot orange juice mixture over sweet potatoes in a 1-1/2 quart casserole (or slow cooker).












Cover and bake 1 hour in oven, basting occasionally or at least 2 hours on HIGH in slow cooker.

No comments:

Post a Comment