Monday, January 28, 2019

CINNAMON APPLE PIE BARS

These Cinnamon Apple Pie Bars were a big hit at the thrift shop (HPC Thrift Shop) last Tuesday when I went for my usual Tuesday morning shift at the registers. Cake mixes like so many things sold in the stores come in smaller containers (but cost as much or maybe a little more) than they used to. There isn't much you can do about it when you are following an older recipe that uses a cake mix. I just use what I have, but it does sometimes make a difference in the consistency of the mixture. This particular recipe says mixture will be dry after you cut the butter in, but mine wasn't dry. It also took more than 3/4th of the mixture to cover the bottom of the pan. I was concerned I wouldn't have enough to crumble over the pie filling. I didn't have that much, but by trying to "crumble" the mixture in as small of pieces as I could, it covered the filling enough. I actually liked seeing as much of the pie filling as I could.

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.
 


CINNAMON APPLE PIE BARS

1     spice cake mix with pudding in the mix
2     cups old-fashioned oats
1/2  teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4  cup butter (1-1/2 sticks) cut into pieces
1     egg
1     can (21 oz) apple pie filling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside. 
Combine cake mix, oats, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
Cut in butter until butter is evenly distributed and no large pieces remain.
(
You can do this with the mixer on low if you like. Cut butter in slices the same as you would do if you were going to use a pastry cutter.)
Stir in egg until well blended.


With damp hands, press about 3/4th of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
(I felt like I used more than 3/4th of the mixture, but liked the way the finished bars looked.)

Cut the apple slices in the pie filling into chunks and
spread the filling evenly over top of the "crust".
Crumble remaining dough over the filling.
Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until top and edges are lightly browned.
Cool completely in pan.


Like I said, I used more than 3/4th of the cake mix mixture to cover the bottom of the pan, but I liked seeing the apple chunks when it was done.

No comments:

Post a Comment