Monday, January 7, 2019

DATE NUT BREAD, an AMISH RECIPE

I had to distinguish this recipe from other recipes I have for Date Nut Bread so I added "an Amish Recipe" to the post title. It is an Amish Recipe and I did really enjoy it, but it is a different bread than my mother's Date Loaf Cake which is still my all-time-favorite. I made it for Friend Fran and gave it to her to have when her family were all together for Christmas. The Amish Date Nut Bread I made and gave to Friends Sandy and Teresa before Christmas. They are two of the members of Blankets of Hope. While the recipe called for making one 9 x 5 - inch loaf, I made three mini-loaves and gave two away and ate one. (I wanted to make sure I liked the recipe before I gave the other two away.)

The recipe came from the book called AMISH - Country Cooking. No authors or editors were listed just Publications International, Ltd., from Lincolnwood, Illinois.

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.



DATE NUT BREAD, an AMISH RECIPE

2       cups flour
1/2    cup packed light brown sugar
1       tablespoon baking powder
1/2    teaspoon salt
1/4    cup (1/2 stick) cold butter
1       cup toasted chopped walnuts (I did not toast the walnuts.)
1       cup chopped dates
1-1/4 cups milk
1       egg
1/2    teaspoon grated lemon peel (I used dried lemon peel.)


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray one 9 x 5 - inch loaf pan or three mini-loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.


Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
I thinly sliced the cold butter and then used my mixer on low to cut in the butter. Works great!
Add walnuts and dates;
stir until coated.
Beat milk, egg, and lemon peel in small bowl with fork. (Since you need to measure the milk, just use a 2 cup glass measuring cup and you can save messing up a small bowl.)
Add to flour mixture;
stir just until moistened.
Spread in prepared pan(s).



Bake 45 to 50 minutes for large loaf or 30 + minutes for mini loaves. Check doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center. Bread is done if the toothpick comes out clean. (I also first will press lightly the center of the loaf to see if it is set.)


Cool in pan(s) on wire rack 10 minutes.












Remove from pan(s) and cool completely on wire rack.  
(I did give two of the loaves away as I said above and did remove them from the aluminum pans, I just failed to take a picture of them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment