Wednesday, August 24, 2016

FLORA'S MEAT LOAF MALLERBY

Aunt Bee's Mayberry Cookbook says this meat loaf (called Flora's Meat Loaf Mallerby) is a favorite down at the Diner. The recipe was attributed to Bobbie Carson from Nashville, TN. After making it, I would not be surprised that it wasn't a favorite at the Diner.

I don't eat meatloaf like my husband does (if it's on the menu, he usually orders it), but I do enjoy it when I make it. This one I especially enjoyed and so did my husband. I changed the cooking instructions because I was baking it at the same time with Old Man Schwump's Scalloped Potatoes. The potatoes had to bake at 375 degrees and the meatloaf at 350 degrees. I decided the extra 25 degrees would be okay and I was right. (Seems like so often when I bake meatloaf, I end up baking it longer than suggested for the meat to get done.)



FLORA'S MEAT LOAF MALLERBY

1       lb ground beef
Dash celery seed
1/2   cup chopped onion
1/3   cup milk
1/4   cup bread crumbs
1       egg, beaten
1       tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
3      tablespoons brown sugar
3/4   cup catsup

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.


In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, celery seed, onion, milk, bread crumbs, egg, and Worcestershire sauce.
Stir til well mixed.


Shape into a ball and place in a baking pan.


Combine the brown sugar and catsup, and
spread over the top of the meat loaf.
(Let it run down the sides on its own.)


Bake for 45 minutes.


Serves 4.






These scalloped potatoes were great with the meatloaf (from the same cookbook).




To print this recipe, there should  be a print icon at the bottom of this post. If you do not see it, scroll up and click on the title of the post. You will be taken to just the one post and the print icon will be the first icon on the bar. When the print window opens, you will have the option to remove the images.

No comments:

Post a Comment