Friday, August 26, 2016

BARNEY'S BANANA GRANOLA COOKIES

This is the third recipe I have shared this week from Aunt Bee's Mayberry Cookbook by Ken Beck and Jim Clark. 

I have so many cookbooks because I can get them at such good prices at estate sales. (I plan to go through some of them and see if I can sell them at a garage sale this fall.) What usually happens is I look through a cookbook when I get it and mark the recipes that look interesting. The problem is with so many cookbooks I then forget what I marked. To help, I decided that I would focus on a cookbook and just go on and make interesting looking recipes over the next week.  I still have a few more to make from this cookbook.

These cookies are a really good recipe (attributed to Harvey Bullock, a writer from The Andy Griffith Show) for those bananas you might have ripening. It took almost 3 of my bananas to make the cup because they were smaller than I usually buy. I reduced the sugar calories by using truvia brown sugar baking blend. I had to buy some granola when I went to the store. I was surprised at all of the different varieties of granola to chose from. You can certainly change the taste of the cookies by the granola that you use in the recipe.

My grandchildren really liked them.



BARNEY'S BANANA GRANOLA COOKIES

1/2         cup butter or margarine, softened or at room temperature
1             cup firmly packed brown sugar (I used 1/2 cup truvia brown sugar baking blend)
1             egg
1/2         teaspoon vanilla extract
1             cup mashed bananas
1-1/2      cups all-purpose flour
1             teaspoon cinnamon
1/2         teaspoon baking soda
1/2         teaspoon salt
1             cup granola

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets.


In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer at medium speed til smooth.
Add the egg, vanilla, and bananas, beating until well blended.
Add the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt
(that you have combined first) and mix until blended.
Stir in the granola.
 



Drop onto cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. (I used my cookie scoop.)



Bake for 12 minutes.
Remove and cool on wire rack.





Store in cookie jar. (A slice of bread in the jar will keep the cookies soft.)

To print this recipe, there should  be a print icon at the bottom of this post. If you do not see it, scroll up and click on the title of the post. You will be taken to just the one post and the print icon will be the first icon on the bar. When the print window opens, you will have the option to remove the images.

No comments:

Post a Comment