Wednesday, August 17, 2016

COCONUT FILLED CHOCOLATE CAKE

I had planned to make my dessert to take to Hillcrest Thrift Shop on Monday afternoon. When the volunteer "working" after me needed to trade shifts with me, I agreed. That meant I had yesterday morning to make the cake before I went. 

I planned to make an Apple Crumb Cake but when I started gathering the ingredients, I realized I didn't have a can of apple pie filling. This Coconut Filled Chocolate Cake was my other choice. I will make the Apple Crumb Cake, but the volunteers were very appreciative of the chocolate cake. It was really delicious and so moist.

The recipe is in Lia Wilson's Quick Fixes with Mixes cookbook. This is the 15th recipe I have made from this cookbook. What a good deal that turned out to be! (I got the cookbook at an estate sale for $1 or $2.) And I still have a bunch I want to make.


COCONUT FILLED CHOCOLATE CAKE

1       devil's food cake mix, batter prepared as directed on package except for substituting buttermilk for the water called for in the directions for a richer consistency
1       egg white
1/4   cup sugar
1       cup shredded coconut (I did use unsweetened coconut)
1       tablespoon flour
1       teaspoon vanilla (clear) (I used regular vanilla)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a Bundt cake pan. (I sprayed mine with a nonstick cooking spray with flour)

Prepare cake mix according to box directions except for substituting buttermilk for the water.


In medium bowl, beat egg white until soft peaks form.
Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
Fold in coconut, flour, and vanilla.


Pour half of prepared cake mix batter into prepared pan.

Drop coconut filling by spoonfuls evenly over center of batter in pan, avoiding touching the sides.

Pour remaining batter over and smooth top.

Bake for 45 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean.

Cool cake in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto cooling rack. 




When cool, ice with Milk Chocolate Glaze.


MILK CHOCOLATE GLAZE

1/3       cup evaporated milk
3/4       cup milk chocolate chips

In medium saucepan, melt chocolate chips in milk over medium heat,
stirring constantly.

Cool to lukewarm and spoon over cake, covering entire surface.



The Frosting had soaked into cake by the time I served it.

No comments:

Post a Comment