Friday, August 5, 2016

BLUEBERRY GINGERBREAD

Gingerbread is one of those desserts I generally think of during winter, but when I saw this recipe for Blueberry Gingerbread in an AR cookbook contributed by Mary Ella Pool Roberts, I knew I had to try it. I even had some fresh blueberries which was just what the recipe called for. You can use frozen blueberries if you don't have any fresh ones.

OMG! It was the best ever gingerbread! I did take part of it to our new neighbors, but took the rest to my son's house for the weekend. Well, Grandchildren Madison and Tyler loved it, too. 



BLUEBERRY GINGERBREAD

1/2       cup oil
1           cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup of truvia - stevia and sugar blend)
1/2       teaspoon salt
3          tablespoons molasses
1           egg
2          cups flour
1/2       teaspoon ground ginger
1           teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2       teaspoon ground nutmeg
1           teaspoon baking soda
1           cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
1           cup buttermilk
2          tablespoons sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour an 8 x 12 - inch baking dish. (It was labeled as a 2 - quart dish on the bottom.)


Beat together the oil, sugar, salt, and molasses.


Beat in egg.


Combine the flour, spices, and baking soda.
Dredge the blueberries with 2 tablespoons of the flour mixture.


Add remaining flour mixture to molasses mixture alternately with the buttermilk, beating after each addition.
(I started and ended with flour mixture.)



Fold in the blueberries.


Pour into baking dish.


Sprinkle top with remaining sugar (2 tablespoons).


Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.

Remove and cool on wire rack.


Cut into squares and
serve warm with butter or whipped cream for a dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment