Tuesday, August 23, 2016

CHERRY SPOON CAKE

Occasionally I make desserts just for us. Not too often, but sometimes I do. That's what I did when I made this Slow Cooker Cherry Spoon Cake. That was my intent anyway. As it turns out I dished out several servings for Friend Fran to take back to her house. She and her daughter couldn't tell me enough how much they loved it. It was really delicious. 



CHERRY SPOON CAKE

1         box yellow cake mix (a sugar-free cake mix will work)
1         (20-ounce) can cherry pie filling (a sugar-free cherry pie filling would work)

Preheat a slow cooker on HIGH for 10 minutes.


Spray the cooker with nonfat cooking spray.


In a mixing bowl, stir together the two ingredients until well mixed.
The batter will be thick.


Spread the batter in the slow cooker.


Place a paper towel over the cooker. Put the lid of the cooker on top to hold it down while the cake cooks.


 Cook on High for 2 hours.



Serve from the slow cooker with a large spoon - plain
or with a dab of whipped topping.





You might notice what looks like chocolate in the cake. I thought I would sprinkle some chocolate chips on top of the batter before I cooked it. The idea was good but the results weren't what I was hoping for. The chips sank to the bottom of the cooker as the cake cooked. If you want to add the chips, sprinkle about 1/4 cup on top of the cooking cake about 30 minutes before the cake is done. That way they will stay on top.

Thanks to Dawn Hall's Busy People's Slow Cooker Cookbook for the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment