Friday, October 2, 2015

REBA McENTIRE'S PRALINE SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE

Fall has officially arrived and some of the trees are starting to turn in our neighborhood. After a week of above average temperatures (in the 80s), they finally dropped to just the upper 60s and lows even in the mid 40s this week. I find it interesting that with temperature changes your appetite just seems to shift to different foods.

I was looking through my old spiral notebook that I started keeping over 20 years ago when I saw this recipe for Reba McEntire's Praline Sweet Potato Casserole. I had written it on a page. (Most of the recipes in this notebook are ones I cut out of a magazine, newspaper, etc and glued in the book.) I didn't include where I saw the recipe so I can't give anything or anybody credit. Maybe I saw it when I was reading an article about Reba.

I think I had never tried it because I had a recipe my husband and I really, really love that I got from friends we first met when we moved to Ventura, CA back in the late 80s. It is always my "go-to" recipe when I made a sweet potato casserole. Well, this one taste totally different and my husband couldn't tell me enough how much he liked it.



REBA McENTIRE'S PRALINE SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE

1       can (40 - oz) sweet potatoes, drained
1/3   cup sugar (I did use stevia)
2      tablespoons margarine, melted (I used butter)
1       teaspoon vanilla
1/2   teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4   teaspoon salt
2      large eggs

TOPPING:
3/4  cup packed brown sugar (I used 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons brown sugar blend)
1/4   cup pecans, chopped
3      tablespoons all-purpose flour
2      tablespoons margarine, melted (I used butter)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a shallow 1-1/2 - quart casserole.

In a bowl, mash the sweet potatoes.

Stir in the sugar, margarine, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, and eggs. ( I beat the eggs before adding them.)

Spoon into prepared casserole dish.

Mix dry topping ingredients together in a bowl. Then add melted butter and mix until crumbly.

Sprinkle on top of potato mixture.

Bake for 30 minutes.























No comments:

Post a Comment