Monday, October 5, 2015

BAKED PINEAPPLE CHICKEN

This is another recipe I wrote in a spiral notebook I started keeping 20 years ago of recipes I wanted to try. Most of the recipes I cut out of magazines or the newspaper and just glued on a page. That way if I tried a recipe and didn't like it I could just remove it from the notebook. I could also write comments, like "not very sweet, but still good", etc beside the recipe. Some of the recipes I actually wrote down on a page. This recipe for Baked Pineapple Chicken is one of those. Didn't write where I found the recipe though.

The recipe says it serves 2 because it uses 2 bone-in chicken breasts (with the skin removed). I used 5 chicken breasts fillets and just had leftovers. We could have easily had friends over for dinner. Fill free to use the amount you want. You can also mix up more of the "topping" if you don't have enough.
The recipe also calls for orange marmalade, which I thought I had. When I couldn't find it, I just used 2 tablespoons of my homemade apricot jam. It tasted just fine to us.


BAKED PINEAPPLE CHICKEN

1/4      cup chicken broth
3         tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1          tablespoon ground ginger, divided
chicken (2 large breasts or 4 - 5 breast fillets or up to 8 chicken tender strips)
1          can (8 - oz) unsweetened crushed pineapple (I used a 20 -ounce can, measured out amount I needed and saved the rest for another recipe.)
1          teaspoon cornstarch
2         tablespoons orange marmalade (apricot jam works well, too)
1          teaspoon lemon juice

Earlier in the day: Combine the broth, soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon ginger. Add the mixture with the chicken and place in a resealable plastic bag and place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 2 hours turning the bag occasionally to coat. (I had mine in the refrigerator for probably 6 hours as I had to leave for about 4 hours before I wanted to cook it.)

Drain the pineapple, reserving the juice. (You will use 1/2 cup of the juice for this recipe and 1/4 cup of the pineapple. Save the rest in the refrigerator for another recipe.)

In a small saucepan, combine the cornstarch and 1/2 cup of juice until smooth.

Stir in the 1/4 cup of pineapple, orange marmalade, lemon juice, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon ginger.

Bring to a boil and cook, stirring for 1- 2 minutes or until thickened.

Drain the chicken and discard the marinate.
Place chicken in a single layer in the bottom of an 8 - 9 inch baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. (for easier cleanup)

Spoon the pineapple mixture over the top of the chicken.

Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F. until chicken is done. I baked my chicken fillets for 30 minutes. The recipe said to cook for 45 - 50 minutes but it used the chicken breast with the bones in.

TIP! When a recipe calls for chicken broth, especially a small amount as in this recipe, dissolve 1 chicken bouillon cube in 1 cup of boiling water.

No comments:

Post a Comment