Thursday, October 29, 2015

APPLESAUCE SPICE CAKE

I made this Applesauce Spice Cake for the volunteers at Hillcrest Thrift Shop Tuesday and have never received so many compliments. It was a delicious cake, even if I say so myself. When I removed the cake cover and they saw the cake, several noticed a piece or two were missing. I told them I had to keep peace at home. 

The funny thing was when I told them it was made with a spice cake mix, Ellie started telling about a cake idea she came up with one day driving home using a spice cake mix. She decided to add applesauce and apples. I couldn't help but laugh as I told her, "Well, this cake might taste familiar to you as it also has applesauce and apples in it."



APPLESAUCE SPICE CAKE

1       package plain spice cake mix
1       cup sweetened applesauce (I used unsweetened applesauce)
1/2   cup buttermilk
1/3   cup butter, at room temperature
1/3   cup solid vegetable shortening
1       teaspoon vanilla 
1       teaspoon finely grated lemon zest (I used dry lemon peel from the spice rack)
2      large eggs
1       cup chopped peeled apple
1/2   cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 12- cup Bundt pan. I used my homemade Pan Grease.


Place the cake mix, applesauce, buttermilk, butter, shortening, vanilla, lemon zest, and eggs in a large mixing bowl. 
Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Stop the machine and scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat for 2 more minutes. Scrape the sides of the bowl.


Fold in the apple and
pecans.


Pour the batter into pan, smoothing it out. 


Bake for 50 to 55 minutes until golden brown and it springs back when lightly pressed with your fingers.


Cool on wire rack for 20 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the cake and 
invert it onto wire rack or serving plate. Allow it to cool for 30 minutes more.




Dust with confectioners' sugar or spoon a brown sugar caramel glaze over the top. I decided to do the latter and everyone loved it and wanted to know what it was.


Cut and serve








Store covered in plastic wrap or under a glass cake dome at room temperature.


BROWN SUGAR CARAMEL GLAZE

3       tablespoons margarine
3       tablespoons packed brown sugar
3       tablespoons granulated sugar
3       tablespoons heavy cream (I used a fat-free half and half)
1/2   teaspoon vanilla


In a medium saucepan, place all ingredients over medium heat.
Bring to a boil stirring to combine the ingredients.


Boil for 1 minutes, stirring often.




Pour over cooled cake.






Source: the Cake mix Doctor by Anne Byrn

No comments:

Post a Comment