Friday, October 30, 2015

CHOCOLATE CHIP-OAT COOKIES

My cookie jar was empty so that meant I had to try a new cookie recipe and fill it. The night before I had been looking through one of the cookbooks my friend Janice had gotten for me at an estate sale back in September and found this recipe for Chocolate Chip-Oat Cookies that I thought sounded like a winner. I loved that it used a cake mix because then I could use a sugar-free one and reduce the sugar. The only sugar in my version of the cookies is the amount in the 60% cacao chips which is less than in semi-sweet ones. Of course you don't have to use a sugar-free cake mix or the darker chips if you prefer others. You could also use a chocolate cake mix and make Double Chocolate Chip-Oat Cookies. 


CHOCOLATE CHIP-OAT COOKIES

1       package yellow cake mix (I used a sugar - free one)
1       teaspoon baking powder
3/4  cup vegetable oil
2      eggs
1       teaspoon vanilla
1       cup uncooked old-fashioned oats
3/4  cup chocolate chips (I used 60% cacao chips)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper..(I did the latter.)

Stir together the cake mix and baking powder in a large bowl.

Add the oil, eggs, and vanilla, stirring by hand until well blended.

Stir in oats and chips.

Drop dough by slightly rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto cookie sheets. (I used my cookie scoop that holds a tablespoonful of liquid. If you turn the dough over so that the flat side is up and the rounded side in down, the cookie will bake flatter. In the picture below you can see the ones I turned over and the ones I didn't.)

Bake 10 minutes or until golden brown. Do Not Overbake. (I took them out after 10 minutes.)


Let cookies stand on the cookie sheets 5 minutes; transfer to wire racks to cool completely. (I admit I forgot to do this but will try it the next time.)


Makes about 3-1/2 dozen cookies.

Baking Tips

"Heavy aluminum cookie sheets produce the most evenly baked and browned cookies. Dark sheets can cause over browning and burnt bottoms. Cookies won't get as crisp if you bake them on insulated sheets--the ones with an air pocket--and may take slightly longer to cook." from Favorite Brand Name 3 Books in 1 Cookies, Bars, and Muffins cookbook.


No comments:

Post a Comment