Monday, October 19, 2015

PUMPKIN PIE DESSERT

Thursday it was my turn to host my quilting friends' canasta group. It was a beautiful fall day here in Kansas City and I encouraged everyone before they left to drive around the blocks close to my house so they could enjoy the beautiful colors of the maple trees. Even though it seems early this year, they are spectacular again this year. While the dogwood and ash tree started turning at least a week ago,our maple trees are just now starting to turn. They like to "show-off" after the neighbors' trees are fairly well gone.

We usually eat light snacks when we get to together, but then have dessert. For a snack I prepared a big "batch" of Miriam Miller's Muddy Buddies from her The Wooden Spoon Cookbook and the Honey Peanut Butter Protein Energy Balls that the nutritionist for the Kansas City's Royals Baseball team has started preparing for them. Both were big hits! 

I managed to get the dessert in the oven about 10 minutes before everyone started arriving. Lillian Kiser of Harrisonburg, Virginia said to serve it warm or cold and I thought it would make the house smell like fall with it baking in the oven and then I could serve it while it was still warm. Lillian's recipe was one included in Phyllis Pellman Good and Kate Good's cookbook Mennonite Recipes from the Shenandoah Valley. It made a big amount since it was made in a 9 x 13 - inch pan and I had no problem at all talking some of the ladies into taking a piece home for later or for their husbands. I still had several servings left for my husband and me to enjoy.

I didn't have a sugar - free yellow cake mix or I would have used it. I did use my stevia/sugar blend to reduce the amount of sugar calories at least in the filling.



PUMPKIN PIE DESSERT

1         box yellow cake mix
1/2     cup margarine, melted
1         egg, beaten
3        cups pumpkin (about 2 cans - 15 oz size)
1/2     teaspoon ginger
1/2     teaspoon cinnamon
1-1/2  cups sugar (I did use a scant 3/4 cup stevia/sugar blend)
2        eggs, beaten
1/4     teaspoon salt
2/3    cup milk (I used skim milk)
1        teaspoon cinnamon
1/4     cup sugar (I used 2 tablespoons of the stevia/sugar blend)
3       tablespoons margarine, softened
whipped topping

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


Measure out 1 cup of the dry cake mix and set aside.

Combine the remaining cake mix, 1/2 cup melted margarine, and 1 egg. (Yes, I forgot to beat the egg before I added it. It worked out okay.) 


Press into 9 x 13 - inch pan. * See tip below.


Mix together in a large mixing bowl, the pumpkin, ginger, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1-1/2 cup sugar, 2 eggs, salt, and milk. 
(I just used my wooden spoon.) Pour over the "crust" mixture and spread out evenly.



Mix together the reserved cake mix, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/4 cup sugar. Cut in 3 tablespoon margarine to form crumbs. 
(I started with a fork, but ended up using my fingers to do this...it is so much easier.)


Sprinkle over the top of the pumpkin mixture.


Bake for 45 - 50 minutes, or until firm in the center.





Serve warm or cold.


Top with whipped topping.


*TIP! Whenever I am instructed to spread a small amount into the bottom of a pan, especially a 9 x 13 - inch pan, I drop tablespoonfuls of the batter around the bottom of the pan leaving at least a spoonful in the bowl to add at the end. Then it is easier to spread the dollops to cover the pan. The last bit I save can be used in the places where you didn't have quite enough to cover the pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment