Thursday, October 15, 2015

MUDDY BUDDIES (SNACK)


I have seen recipes for Muddy Buddies in several of my Amish cookbooks. Weeks ago I bought the cereal with plans of trying one of the recipes soon. Well, I finally found a good opportunity to make it....when my quilting canasta friends came over to my house for an afternoon of cards.

The recipe I selected to use was one in Miriam Miller's The Wooden Spoon Cookbook. I followed her recipe but noted at the end a change I would recommend. I had trouble coating all of the cereal mixture with the powdered sugar. Next time, I will only do about half of the mixture at a time in the large plastic bag.


MUDDY BUDDIES (SNACK)

9        cups Chex cereal (corn, rice, or wheat)
1         cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli 60% cacao)
1/2     cup peanut butter
1/4     cup butter
1        teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2  cups powdered sugar (may need to use more)


Pour cereal in a large bowl and set aside.


In a small saucepan, over low heat, melt chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter until smooth, stirring often.


Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
Pour chocolate mixture over the cereal, 
stirring until all pieces are evenly coasted.


Pour cereal mixture into a large plastic bag with the powdered sugar. 


Seal securely and shake until all pieces are well coated.


Spread on waxed paper to cool.





Personal note: I had to add additional powdered sugar to coat it all. 




I would recommend not putting all of the mixture in the bag with the powdered sugar. Place about half of it in the bag with about a cup of powdered sugar, seal the bag, and shake it to coat. Spread on waxed paper and then coat/shake the rest with additional powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment